Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They are "pissed" I put her on birth control.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
  • 530 Replies
6 moms liked this

My sister (in law, but we are very close) ask me to put her on BC about 4-5 months ago. She was thinking about having sex but wanted to be as safe as possible and use two forms(condoms and pills). Today I took her back to my gynecologist today to switch to seasonique. I could only get an appointment during the day so I had to take her out of school. Her mom found out and now her parents are pissed. They are the rare form of catholics who feel BC is a sin and as is premarital sex. Problem is, my sister doesn't feel the same way. She IS having sex. My MIL is furious because I pay for it(a bit over 70 bucks a month, she works it off by baby sitting, helping w/ my mom and helping me do chores). I know in my heart it was the right thing to do. She makes straight As and will easily get a cheer leading scholarship. She cant go to college, cheer practice, games, and a job if she has a baby to take care of. I typically agree with their parenting methods but their idea is just to keep her in the dark and unprotected and hope she never has sex with her boyfriend of 4 years.

While I do understand shes not my child to parent I dont agree its their right to lie and not allow her accessto something so important. They can not conceive and Im not sure if they dont understand BC because....they dont have to worry about it. Maybe if they understood the worry you have of getting pregnant when you dont use BC they might change thier minds. I just really dont want one "mistake" to f*ck her plans up.

I hope they calm down and we can discuss it instead of her yelling at me like I'm 5. I hate when people are mad at me and Its not something Im comfortable with. The Idea that someone hates me really makes me upset.

I know this is unpopular but I just wanted to vent before I go crazy.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand if you disagree but please dont be rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM
12 moms liked this

I probably would have done the same.

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM
21 moms liked this
Just step back and think how you would feel if someone helped your child do something you do/did not a prove of and had said no to already. It doesn't matter if you feel they are right or wrong, or how you would handle things, what matters is they are her parents, they agree with each other, and they had decided how to raise there child, non of that is about you. I get your SIL feels differently, but that is something she has to handle, not you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this

I probably would have done the same, however, be understanding to them being upset, and they have a right to be. Let them be upset, be understanding to that, but explain that you still feel you did the right thing. 

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM
3 moms liked this

If it was a toy I said no to, of course i would be mad. However when it comes to my child's safety, I'll do whats best but Im not always right. I would rather my child be safe than pregnant.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

Just step back and think how you would feel if someone helped your child do something you do/did not a prove of and had said no to already. It doesn't matter if you feel they are right or wrong, or how you would handle things, what matters is they are her parents, they agree with each other, and they had decided how to raise there child, non of that is about you. I get your SIL feels differently, but that is something she has to handle, not you.

RobinChristine
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont understand  how you could give permission  for her to be seen by the MD and get the medication. I can see your point of veiw trying to keep her safe BUT I also think the parents need to wake up. if the daughter is having sex  knowing it is against her religion and parents wishes(despite her beliefs)  i think the parents need  to take responsibility fot that. IF she conceives it sounds like their beliefs would keep her from aborting would they help raise a  baby? Maybe talking to them with what if questions might help,good luck)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
7 moms liked this
I'd be mad at you too.
ayla91
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I would have done the same thing. honestly, she was responsible enough to come forward and ask and doesnt want to mess up her life. If the doctor prescribed it to her without her parents signature then she is old enough to make decisions like this about her own body. its not like she went and got a tattoo or something behind their back that you concented for. I wouldnt sweat it.

Uhura
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I fully support you, I would've done the same thing you did.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is she?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN