Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They are "pissed" I put her on birth control.

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister (in law, but we are very close) ask me to put her on BC about 4-5 months ago. She was thinking about having sex but wanted to be as safe as possible and use two forms(condoms and pills). Today I took her back to my gynecologist today to switch to seasonique. I could only get an appointment during the day so I had to take her out of school. Her mom found out and now her parents are pissed. They are the rare form of catholics who feel BC is a sin and as is premarital sex. Problem is, my sister doesn't feel the same way. She IS having sex. My MIL is furious because I pay for it(a bit over 70 bucks a month, she works it off by baby sitting, helping w/ my mom and helping me do chores). I know in my heart it was the right thing to do. She makes straight As and will easily get a cheer leading scholarship. She cant go to college, cheer practice, games, and a job if she has a baby to take care of. I typically agree with their parenting methods but their idea is just to keep her in the dark and unprotected and hope she never has sex with her boyfriend of 4 years.

While I do understand shes not my child to parent I dont agree its their right to lie and not allow her accessto something so important. They can not conceive and Im not sure if they dont understand BC because....they dont have to worry about it. Maybe if they understood the worry you have of getting pregnant when you dont use BC they might change thier minds. I just really dont want one "mistake" to f*ck her plans up.

I hope they calm down and we can discuss it instead of her yelling at me like I'm 5. I hate when people are mad at me and Its not something Im comfortable with. The Idea that someone hates me really makes me upset.

I know this is unpopular but I just wanted to vent before I go crazy.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Replies (521-530):
Italianmommy04
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't know what state you are in, but most likely she does not need parental consent for get birth control.  I totally agree with your decision to help your sister in law and fully support you.  This poor girl needs education and the right to choose whether she wants to have children or not.  She is old enough to make the decision to take birth control and I applaud you for helping and educating her!  I wish I had a sister in law like you when I was growing up.  

NewJoyOn1308
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Sorry, but that would've been an ass whoopin' for ya.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carryannsmommy
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM
I would never do that with another persons child but I see where your coming from
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluv2meow
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM

asking people not to be rude when you wear a siggie licking a banana.....

atherianos
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Maybe instead of being directly involved u could help guide her to resources so she can get what she needs without u directly going against her parents. I live in California and we have planned parent hood. no parent permission needed, and they usually take donations so people can pay what they can afford. Then your sis can earn money helping u out and use it for what she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM
I understand why they are mad abd I'm sure you'd feel the same if someone took your daughter behind your back and do the same thing, not because its wrong but because you would feel like that is something you should do. And now a days girls can get bc without adult consent or even before they are 18 but maybe your state is different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Im sorry but you doing this despite their feelings on it was way out of line.  If someone did that for my child I would be livid.  They are entitled to their beliefs and entitled to raise their child how they want to.  Anything going on medicaly with my child (and doctors appointments and birth control are included in this) would be important to know as a parent.  Not to mention messing with something they are morally against.  I would seriously never let you around my child again, daughter in law or not. 

KitT.Kat
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM

No, it's her doctors job to determine those risks and discuss them with her. I don't care how Catholic or uppity her parents are, that doesn't make them medical professionals.

The OP took the girl to a doctor who then prescribed her birth control pills. You don't seem to grasp this. The OP did not buy some black market birth control pills for her or give her some of her own leftovers. 

Use your brain a little.

Quoting bekalynne440:

Those aren't all of the factors. How likely is she to get pregnant using condoms? Does she have a family history of blood clots? Is she on any other medicine that may conflict with BC? Many different factors need to be considered and it's a parent's job to do so until that child is 18.

Quoting NotObvious:

Quoting bekalynne440:

So you would rather risk the child having a stroke than getting pregnant?!?!  There are no words...

Really? How likely is she to have a stroke? How likely is she to get pregnant by having sex? Weigh that out. 

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I would have done the same but you did step over the line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CHilbmann
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Butter, As much as I love my 18 year old son, I wish my sister-in-law would have had the nerve to do what you did. I went to her at 15 and told her I was having sex and I wanted to be on birth control, but she didnt want to upset my mom and so we talked with my mom and my mom said we would pray about it and god would heal my need to have sex. Well as we can see, it didnt work, but I love my son all the more he taught me so much in life but I think I could have given him and his siblings a MUCH better life had I graduated from highschool then went on to college and then got married and had babies, now im a bit backwards I am back in school at 36 and OMG its hard...:)

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured