Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They are "pissed" I put her on birth control.

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister (in law, but we are very close) ask me to put her on BC about 4-5 months ago. She was thinking about having sex but wanted to be as safe as possible and use two forms(condoms and pills). Today I took her back to my gynecologist today to switch to seasonique. I could only get an appointment during the day so I had to take her out of school. Her mom found out and now her parents are pissed. They are the rare form of catholics who feel BC is a sin and as is premarital sex. Problem is, my sister doesn't feel the same way. She IS having sex. My MIL is furious because I pay for it(a bit over 70 bucks a month, she works it off by baby sitting, helping w/ my mom and helping me do chores). I know in my heart it was the right thing to do. She makes straight As and will easily get a cheer leading scholarship. She cant go to college, cheer practice, games, and a job if she has a baby to take care of. I typically agree with their parenting methods but their idea is just to keep her in the dark and unprotected and hope she never has sex with her boyfriend of 4 years.

While I do understand shes not my child to parent I dont agree its their right to lie and not allow her accessto something so important. They can not conceive and Im not sure if they dont understand BC because....they dont have to worry about it. Maybe if they understood the worry you have of getting pregnant when you dont use BC they might change thier minds. I just really dont want one "mistake" to f*ck her plans up.

I hope they calm down and we can discuss it instead of her yelling at me like I'm 5. I hate when people are mad at me and Its not something Im comfortable with. The Idea that someone hates me really makes me upset.

I know this is unpopular but I just wanted to vent before I go crazy.

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
Greekmama21
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

In my mind, it's wrong of you to go behind their backs. This is something YOUR HUSBAND should have done, opposed to you. It's his sister. You married her brother and into their family. I understand that you were in the right place, in my mind. I would happily put my daughter on birth control if she was going to have sex... but if my husband had a younger sister, it would be his place to do it, not mine. 

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Its just a funny lady eating a banana. Most find it funny but so think its a bit weird. It makes me giggle so thats all that matters.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

What does her siggy say?

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not your place to do that. if she was my kid I would have been furious! You are not her parent. That was not your call. You were wrong.....and so is your siggy.

Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Not your child. I'd be pissed too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bfines
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I would of done the same thing if I was in your shoes. My baby sister asked me about BC when she was younger (we r 8 yrs apart). I gave her the pros and cons of having sex and we had a really long talk about the situation. Then her dematologist put her on it anyways to help with acne so I didn't have to take her to the OB.
elly25
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I'd be upset if another person gave my child something that I didn't want them to have. On the other hand though, what you did is right and the child is right for wanting to be as safe as she can be.

I don't understand how parents (or people) can be so anti-bc. If my daughter wanted to go on bc and get condoms. I'd be there to take her and support her. Because she wants to be responsible. I may not like the aspect that she's having sex, but I would respect the fact that she's being safe about it .

bekalynne440
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Then its on PP's conscience and not yours.  Truly consider it.  Say she got a blood clot that caused a stroke.  Could you live with yourself?

Quoting NotObvious:

Quoting young_lv_mom:

And if she had a bad reaction to the BC then what? Its not safety you are thinking about, you are thinking of her, but you are only thinking of her not having a baby, sorry but that is how you have worded it. She is not having medical problems her parents are over looking, she is wanting sex that her parents d not aprove of.

How is it any different than the girl going to Planned Parenthood, having a consultation, and getting BC? It isn't like she skipped the appointment, she is going and is meeting with a physician. 

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I am giving you my opinion, you got it for her after both of you knew her parents didn't want her to have it. That is wrong, it would be like you letting her go to a concert her parents said no to, just b/c you don't see the big deal does not make it right. So you are in the wrong. Dr or no Dr she was told no.
And I asked about the bad reaction b/c her parents would have to be notified and some reactions are damn scary, it was/is not you call.
Quoting NotObvious:

Quoting young_lv_mom:

And if she had a bad reaction to the BC then what? Its not safety you are thinking about, you are thinking of her, but you are only thinking of her not having a baby, sorry but that is how you have worded it. She is not having medical problems her parents are over looking, she is wanting sex that her parents d not aprove of.

How is it any different than the girl going to Planned Parenthood, having a consultation, and getting BC? It isn't like she skipped the appointment, she is going and is meeting with a physician. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It's a woman fellating a banana.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

What does her siggy say?

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not your place to do that. if she was my kid I would have been furious! You are not her parent. That was not your call. You were wrong.....and so is your siggy.

NotObvious
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Quoting bekalynne440:

Then its on PP's conscience and not yours.  Truly consider it.  Say she got a blood clot that caused a stroke.  Could you live with yourself?

Remarkably enough I wuld be fine. My anger would be towards the parents who were so set in their beliefs, that they wouldn't take their own child to the appointment.

~ I want to steal your heart, and eat your brains~

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM
OK lol, thanks. It sucks I can't see that stuff.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Its just a funny lady eating a banana. Most find it funny but so think its a bit weird. It makes me giggle so thats all that matters.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

What does her siggy say?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN