Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you find it difficult to be friends with people that parent differently?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 180 Replies

My husband and I are friends with a couple that we completely adore. (My husband wouldn't choose "adore" but oh well, lol) The only issue we have is that they are so lax with their parenting. They don't keep their word when they tell their kids something, they just let it go. Their kids are 15, 12? and 5. The 5 year old is awful. She is a brat. We get our families together often but I feel like this girl is a bad influence. She doesn't listen to anyone and thinks she can do as she pleases. Ugh, it's just a difficult situation. 

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think being a person on the outside of parenting for so many years has toughened me up to different styles i dont choose for my son. I would be able to.. My SO and I would just snicker about it when we are alone.

Chuckydoodle
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM
6 moms liked this

I can get along with anyone except of course the extremes of either too lazy to lift a finger to raise the child. Or the ones that hover over every last detail and make life miserable, and then it's only when they try offering advice that it gets under my skin. 

vicki77433
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
9 moms liked this

I couldn't be friends with parents that were abusive.  Other than that, I think I could get over it.  If the kids drive you crazy, just spend time without them.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this

No,I have people in my life that parent differently. If we are around them, we just debrief our kids so to speak if needed, after said people leave.  Remind them that different families do things different ways, but in our house things work the way we have set it up.  That kind of thing. If a debreifing is not needed, we just let it go.  Our kids aren't easily influenced by that type of thing, so far. They are pretty grounded.

babyboy117
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

It is annoying. I have a friend who lets her son run around barefoot (age 3). My son is 16 months old, and he tries to take HIS shoes off when he sees her son without his. I don't allow my son to run around the park/parking lot barefoot. That is gross, and dangerous. So she tells me " oh let him take his shoes off." UMMMMM noooooooooooooo! LOL. Then her son broke my window shades in my car. Sometimes I don't want to hang with her because of HIM! We are meeting at starbucks today..lets see how that goes. ha

laciD
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Unless its an extreme, such as abuse. Then no, I have no problems with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyDarkAngel
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL good luck. This little girl broke a section of our wooden blinds in the girls playroom and tried to blame it on my two year olds. :l

Quoting babyboy117:

It is annoying. I have a friend who lets her son run around barefoot (age 3). My son is 16 months old, and he tries to take HIS shoes off when he sees her son without his. I don't allow my son to run around the park/parking lot barefoot. That is gross, and dangerous. So she tells me " oh let him take his shoes off." UMMMMM noooooooooooooo! LOL. Then her son broke my window shades in my car. Sometimes I don't want to hang with her because of HIM! We are meeting at starbucks today..lets see how that goes. ha

bjsgrl
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM
I usually don't let it bother me. Unless its affecting us in a negative way. Like one couple that used to come over. Their kids would swear, play in their poop and smear it all over the bathroom, etc. .and the parents thought it was cute/funny. They don't come around anymore. Fuck that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyboy117
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

And what makes me mad about it, the Mom did not even offer to buy me a new one. They are not cheap. I paid $35 for a set of two.

Quoting MyDarkAngel:

LOL good luck. This little girl broke a section of our wooden blinds in the girls playroom and tried to blame it on my two year olds. :l

Quoting babyboy117:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
takeitall13
by Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM
3 moms liked this

it doesn't bother us as long as they don't try to "parent" our kids that way--- or US that way..  we're not terribly strict but we don't let our toddler do things that we know can/will hurt him and we stick to our word with him so that he knows EVERY time he goes to do it that its not going to be a different answer..  i can see what you're saying about bad influence.. good luck mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN