Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is an associate an actual degree anymore?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 109 Replies

do they actually hand out associates degrees anymore?  SO and i were talking about this the other day and another post I just read got me thinking about it again.

I have friends that say they have their associates, but they never actually graduated from anything and have no actual degree to show.  SO & i came to the conclusion that an associates degree is just a term people use when they don't finish getting the bachelors.  like just because they went to school for 2 years they say they have an associates so it's not like they went for *nothing*

i know they used to exist (like there used to be specific schools/programs you could enroll in to only do 2 years of school and get an associates)...but do they actually exist anymore?

i'm not bashing or anything...i'm just truly curious. as i've never met anyone who (recently) obtained an actual diploma stating they have an associates degree.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinglife0682
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM
I don't know. I always think of bachelors when I hear "degree"
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes they do exist, they just arent worth anything anymore.

ReadWriteLuv
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Yes, an associates degree is a degree. I'm an X-ray tech and most X-ray programs are associates degrees with required credits and pre-requisites.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HP3HP3

yes- I am going for AS in accounting

I can put my AS to a higher paying postion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

yes they do. I'm working towards mine in a state college! And yes they have a graduation ceremony for those who got their associates degree. My mom got hers, I was at her ceremony!

juless

It's a degree from a two year college, like an associates degree in science.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The hospital I am doing my internship (CRNA) won't even look at a nurse if they don't have their bachelors.  HR doesn't consider an Associates a degree where I am.  It's more of a certification now.

wintermermaid
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Yes, an associates degree exists. You don't just automatically get one because you've done 2 yrs of college. Some people don't get one and just go straight for the Bachelors but if they don't get a bachelors for some reason, then they don't have a degree.

I purposely got my associates before going on for my bachelors. I didn't graduate or anything like that either. I do have the paper somewhere but who knows where!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

i graduated 7 yrs ago. and Im on both sides of that debate. I have a Associated degree in "general studies" from a junior college. I ddint study anything specific, I only took those as dual credits in H.S. and paid my tutition tohave them count if i decided to go into a 4 yr program. to graduate i had to take 1 course "on campus" It really means nothing except i have a bunch of prereq's out of the way if i ever decide to go back.

BUT I also have an associates certification..... same thing as a degree but thru a vocational technical college.... It is specified waht I studied, that I mastered it, and compeleted the course load in 2 yrs. its a Associates in "Automotive Collision Repair" 

when people ask.. YES I have 2 associates. I worked my hiney off for those and paid for them just the same as any other graduate.

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)