Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Role of SAHM *edit*

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM
  • 67 Replies
I am just curious what you ladies think the role of a SAHM is.... What duties should be done? What duties should not be expected? What should the role of DH/SO be or not be?

Just wondering

Edit: If your response is "whatever is agreed upon"- if you were a SAHM what would you agree/not agree to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Take care of the kids primarily. Clean, cook, etc as time permits. SO should help, since most of them only have a work day of 8 or so hours, as opposed to a SAHM's never ending day, but it seems to be very rare that one actually does!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Clean the house ! laundry,cook food, bathe the kids school work with them well everything that needs to get done to run a happy healthy home man or woman.... i think if the other is working...
melakay1981
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I pretty much do everything cleaning related except take out the garbage and do the dishes.  I refuse to take out the trash and my husband does the dishes every evening while I am getting the kids ready for bed this way we can relax together after the kids are sleeping.  He will also help out on the weekends with laundry and has no problem running the vacuum or cooking dinner.  My friends are always so shocked at how much he helps me without even being asked.  He was laid off for 3 months and did the same things I would do with no problem.  He just started back to work this week and I kinda miss the help.  I also have no problem going outside and cutting grass, cutting hedges, and pulling the 18,000 weeds out of our yard.  We help each other. 

Lucky2haveLiam
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Everything required to run the houshold and take care of the baby. DH should (and does) help if I am for some reason feeling overwhelmed or am sick but otherwise he bring home the bacon (so to speak) and I take care of the baby and the home

mom2cheesebug
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I think for me it was setting doc appts, cleaning, cooking, running errands, grocery shopping and making sure everone is where they are suppose to be and on time.

Now that i work though and SO is a SAHD, i still do all the chores and doc. appts, and cooking. lol. So i am a little more curious as to what a man would define a SAHM's role as.

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I don't believe there is any set role. Whatever a SAHM agrees upon with her SO is what should be expected. It is all based off a mutual agreement. If she is a SAHM and single, then that would change of course. It would still be based off her own expectations of what kind of role that was.

Chuckydoodle
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I have to do literally everything since hubby is over the road. However, he has finally offered me a maid service two days a week to help where he can't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwats81
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm a stay at home mom, so my "role" is to get my kids up and ready for school, take them to school, hang out with the one that isn't in school yet, and clean during the day, and then pick kids up from school, cook dinner, etc.... my husband is wonderful though, if he knows i'm sick or exhausted, he will cook. and on the weekends, he loves to clean... he is OCD, so I let him have at it! lol. He never complains about anything and always encourages me to take time out for myself to work on my school assignments and stuff. 

mitchiesgirl
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM
The same for us.... My husband (thankfully) helps out and people are shocked that he does things without me having to beg or ask... He was a SAHD for almost 2 years (when our DD was born)... I had a job that I went back to and he did everything... Cooking, cleaning, taking care if the yard, taking care of the kids and their homework, etc. Now I'm mostly home and he still helps out when I'm sick or have tons of stuff to do. Yay for our hubby's :)

Quoting melakay1981:

I pretty much do everything cleaning related except take out the garbage and do the dishes.  I refuse to take out the trash and my husband does the dishes every evening while I am getting the kids ready for bed this way we can relax together after the kids are sleeping.  He will also help out on the weekends with laundry and has no problem running the vacuum or cooking dinner.  My friends are always so shocked at how much he helps me without even being asked.  He was laid off for 3 months and did the same things I would do with no problem.  He just started back to work this week and I kinda miss the help.  I also have no problem going outside and cutting grass, cutting hedges, and pulling the 18,000 weeds out of our yard.  We help each other. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Running the household. Make sure everything is done or delegated to someone else... Bahahahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)