Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back in the old days a lot of kids wasn't a problem.....

Posted by   + Show Post

So, why is it now? My grandma had twenty two kids (four set of twins). Why is it so crazy if a couple wants to have a lot of children?

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Replies (81-90):
ramonafrog
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM
I know. That's too funny :)

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I know what you meant, but I was picturing me with the big 80's bangs...and then the clothes. No, no, no.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Lol. I'm just saying they set an awesome example for financial independence and family togetherness. Something a lot of big and small families have forgotten about

Quoting TrouserMouse:

My big family will never look like the Duggars, thank goodness...lol.

Quoting ramonafrog:

The only problem I have with big families is that it seems like the biggest families are the ones who are on every form of PA. If you can't afford YOUR big family don't make it the rest of america's responsibility to foot the bill.

I love the duggars... They're the perfect example of what a big family should look like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You are so right, a lot of people probably think their milk comes from the store and not a cow and the meat comes from the store and not a pig or a cow. I grew up on a farm and I am making sure my kids grow up on a farm. I love living in the country, people are not in our business where they don't belong and we can grow our own food and my kids learn how to do things that others don't, I love it!! I am sad that my grandparent's don't have their farm anymore so my kids can see how these things work. My cousin still has a dairy farm and my kids actually want to milk a cow, so we are going to take a trip this summer to do that, I am excited!!!

Quoting MrsJHoward:

I hate the way times are nowadays too! People had smaller houses bigger properties and most had good morals. A lot also grew their own food! I bet the majority of people today wouldn't know the first thing about a garden. My grandma is 86 and she does a garden still!

Quoting lapcounter:

Back then, couples used THEIR OWN MONEY, not the states aid to have their children. It also seemed that mother's stayed home to raise their children, it also seemed that parent's had control of their children, a lot has changed since our grandparent's raised our parent's. Why? Who the hell knows that is the million dollar question, I wish someone would figure it out and change it, I fucking hate the way times are now personally.

rose0919
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

my dad was one of 17 . only 13 survived .they didnt get any help my grandfather worked 3 jobs. as soon as the boys were old enough they worked too. my dad joined the army during ww2 as soon as he was old enough and sent his check to his mother so did 2 other of my uncles. my older aunts helped rais the younger ones till they got married and moved out. they did this all in a 2 bedroom apartment.. this was normal back then.

i didnt see an issue with big familys till jon and kate octomom . they did it for money and fame. they didnt have a child they had litters.

tennisgal
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I always wonder this too. My mom is one of 13 and my MIL is one of 12. They both came from farming families and had to help take care of their brothers and sisters and no one was up in arms up how unfair it was to make them help out on the farm. So I do not understsnad the obsession with bashing the Duggars or the Bates for their choice to have large families. 

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Life is a HELL OF A LOT more expensive now a days-that's why.

tennisgal
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that's just not true. You were just content with what you had. There was no push for your child to have name brand clothes and the new DS and a this and that. You had what you had and you had that b/c it's what you could afford. Aside from cost of living increases, families can certainly live alot simpler than they do. 

Quoting KairisMama:

Life is a HELL OF A LOT more expensive now a days-that's why.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I have four kids and a lot of people act like I killed a whole family. It's so shocking to them we would CHOOSE to have four kids. But *gasp* we saved and planned to have four kids! Why is it your problem?

Just a general vent not directed at anyone

MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM
That sounds like so much fun! My uncle has goats and my daughter loves to milk them when she visits with. I remember when I was young maybe five? My grandma use to butcher her own cow. Not any more though she is to old. I love my grandma! Lol

Quoting lapcounter:

You are so right, a lot of people probably think their milk comes from the store and not a cow and the meat comes from the store and not a pig or a cow. I grew up on a farm and I am making sure my kids grow up on a farm. I love living in the country, people are not in our business where they don't belong and we can grow our own food and my kids learn how to do things that others don't, I love it!! I am sad that my grandparent's don't have their farm anymore so my kids can see how these things work. My cousin still has a dairy farm and my kids actually want to milk a cow, so we are going to take a trip this summer to do that, I am excited!!!

Quoting MrsJHoward:

I hate the way times are nowadays too! People had smaller houses bigger properties and most had good morals. A lot also grew their own food! I bet the majority of people today wouldn't know the first thing about a garden. My grandma is 86 and she does a garden still!

Quoting lapcounter:

Back then, couples used THEIR OWN MONEY, not the states aid to have their children. It also seemed that mother's stayed home to raise their children, it also seemed that parent's had control of their children, a lot has changed since our grandparent's raised our parent's. Why? Who the hell knows that is the million dollar question, I wish someone would figure it out and change it, I fucking hate the way times are now personally.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing wrong with big families. I think they are the most awesome things ever :)

my3littleboys
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Times have changed....I would love to have more kids.....but my kids wouldn't be able to live the same lifestyle that they currently have if I did.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured