Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Family skeletons

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM
  • 109 Replies

When my Aunt and I were doing our family geneology we found out a few things that surprised us.

We found:

a defrocked Nun, one of the first medical personel to contract and die of AIDS form getting accidently pricked with an infected patient's needle, a greedy & sadly selfish wife (who's tales are legend), a grandmother who divided the family because of her nastiness, a severe history of members dying very young, family members who became alcoholics and drug addicts, but we also found some wonderful people.

There is also the story of a child born to a mother married- but not to the father. She had the baby, kept it for 2 years (raised with the older half-siblings during that time), then gave him away to the father's family so her husband wouldn't divorce her. 

So I was wondering- do any of you have such skeletons that you knew of or found?

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhiannon1980
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Not that I know of but my grandfather on my dads side was adopted and we only know the guys last name. So no real way to trace it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
4 moms liked this

i have too many skeletons with my living family; I don't need to search for more.

meowsrus
by MamaKitty on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

Not that I know of but my grandfather on my dads side was adopted and we only know the guys last name. So no real way to trace it.

Have something similar,  father was adopted and I have no idea who his family is or was.  So hubby and I joke that since his family knows their family tree back farther than that, and he is from a small town where he's related to almost everyone in some way, that I married him because I could be sure he wasn't my cousin and he married me to open the gene pool in his family farther! LOL

meowsrus
by MamaKitty on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Quoting purpleducky:

i have too many skeletons with my living family; I don't need to search for more.

No! I love that your so open about things!  

But we both grew up not knowing anything about my grandfather's side because HIS mother was the bitch no one could stand and split the family!!

So we wanted to see if we could re-connect with any of them

Sadly she passed away a few years ago and I stopped the search because it wasn't the same doing it without her.  But every so often I will do a little digging because I know she wanted to finish it.  ;-) 

Mare1180
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I apparently have a great, great grandfather that abandoned his family and pregnant wife. I can't find anything about him though. That's about it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Well thank you. I actually just published my book, talk about being open, lol.

Anyways, my mom did something similar with my family.

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting purpleducky:

No! I love that your so open about things!  

But we both grew up not knowing anything about my grandfather's side because HIS mother was the bitch no one could stand and split the family!!

So we wanted to see if we could re-connect with any of them

Sadly she passed away a few years ago and I stopped the search because it wasn't the same doing it without her.  But every so often I will do a little digging because I know she wanted to finish it.  ;-) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM

My great-great grandfather was in the mafia.

My great-uncle was also in the mafia and he was murdered in his home and cut into tiny pieces.

I'm also related to Joe Banano a famous mafia guy. He was my great-grandmother's cousin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

My mom was a teen mom and gave custody to my grandparents. The first 3 months of my life, I was technically my grandparents kid. I found out when I found my birth certificate, it still had my grandparents last name instead of my dad's and everyone told me.

jlo1313
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don't see any good reason to go digging up skeletons.  They don't do me much good in the here and now.

I came from a relatively meek and mild family. 

meowsrus
by MamaKitty on Apr. 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quoting Mare1180:

I apparently have a great, great grandfather that abandoned his family and pregnant wife. I can't find anything about him though. That's about it lol

Oooh that is a good skeleton! There are many avenues to try to find out info, but it depends on where they lived.  We have an extremely hard time finding any info past my great-grandparents (and them too really) because they were not born here and the town my great-grandfather's family is from -well, it was in a country that no longer exists, so we have no idea where to start looking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN