Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When my Aunt and I were doing our family geneology we found out a few things that surprised us.

We found:

a defrocked Nun, one of the first medical personel to contract and die of AIDS form getting accidently pricked with an infected patient's needle, a greedy & sadly selfish wife (who's tales are legend), a grandmother who divided the family because of her nastiness, a severe history of members dying very young, family members who became alcoholics and drug addicts, but we also found some wonderful people.

There is also the story of a child born to a mother married- but not to the father. She had the baby, kept it for 2 years (raised with the older half-siblings during that time), then gave him away to the father's family so her husband wouldn't divorce her. 

So I was wondering- do any of you have such skeletons that you knew of or found?

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Replies (101-109):
mami2emily
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM
In Mexico records aren't kept as well as they are here. My grandma was born in a house and her birth wasn't even registered until a year later. She recently found out that her real name is not what she has been going by her whole life. We are all a really close family but she doesn't think anyone else knows about my dad.

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting mami2emily:

I wish I could trace back my family. My dad doesn't know his real dad and my grandma would freak if I asked her. My grandmas mom was actually from an indigenous tribe in Mexico that spoke dialect but she was ashamed of it so she never told where she was from. My moms mom passed away when she was little and my grandpa passed away when I was like 10. I know he used to own a lot of land in Mexico where they grew fruit. I've heard that there is a witch on my moms side of the family, supposedly he ate his children's soul for more power. I also heard that this man is the reason my moms mom got sick and died so misteriously, he wanted her land and money. That's about all I know.

There could be ways of trying to find out more info by talking to registrars offices and such.  It could be done.

Now talking to Gramma....  Well, maybe someone else could call her and say they are doing some geneology info and ask her questions instead of you.  We had to do that with my bitch-great-grandmother.  Wouldn't talk to anyone she knew, but talked to someone (well me, but she didn't know my voice anymore) she 'thought' she didn't know.  I know- weird

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Yup. We will never know. Its very possible she had a child its also very possible she didn't. We will never know.

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting MamatoKy:

My great aunt passed away 2007, the last few years she was "out of it" alzthimers(sp) and she kept  talking about a lil girl. She never had kids so we didnt know what she was talking about. A few years had passed, maybe 2 or 3, and we get a phone call one evening from a number in Georgia number (my aunt was married to my grandfathers brother and they were from Georgia) The man on the phone explained that he was adopted and he had some ongoing medical issues with a condition that runs rampant through the males in our familes bodies. He told us that my great uncle was his father and that his mother passed away years before any of these problems arised. He spoke with my mom, who then gave him the number to two of my uncles who also have this medical condition explaining to him that they could explain more to him. My mom then called my uncles(her brothers) and told them what she was just told. This man called every so often to speak with us, just about other medical things(what we have, what runs in the family and what not) and eventually my mom told him my husband(my stepdad) has family in georgia, we come down every year, would you like to meet us and your family in Georgia. He was suprised to learn that he still had family in Georgia. Apparently he had been told, once he found out he was adopted that his mother was a pregnant unwed teen mother (and back in the 1940's and 50's) I suppose that was when you were sent away to school for 9 months and returned home like nothing happened.

That was not the case at all. My great uncle had a girlfriend and got her pregnant, he was then stationed away, never knowing she was pregnant. Eventually she broke up with him and When he was stationed here, he met my great Aunt, they married and never had kids. My great uncle died when i was roughly 2 years old.

Back to my Great Aunt, we still dont know if she had any children before she met my great uncle. From what we've been told, she used to run with a tough crowd. Bikers and such (not that bikers are bad, just a tough crowd), so we assume its very possible she were to get pregnant at a young age, and have given the baby up for adoption. She is 2007 at 97 years old, right before her 98th birthday. So married my great uncle at 23 years old. So if there was a chance of her having a child, chances are today, that child is not alive. And we'll most likely never know if she had a lil girl of whom she talked about so much in her last years.

One of the problems I had was that hospitals and other places (like the homes for unwed teens) that have shut their doors, don't keep records that far back or they are just lost.  So when trying to find the birth certificate for my bio-father I kept hitting brick walls.  We just can't order it because we have no idea what name he had on it.  It could have been his bio-dad, his bio-mom (who was married to someone else), or even if they had substituted the adoption one- which would have his adopted parents name as his last name.

But there are sites where you can register to say "I have a relative that was adopted /gave a shild up for adoption, here's what we know, does this match anyone looking?"

But if you know her maiden name and where she was originally from or where she lived, then you would have enough info to register and maybe see.  It's a long-shot. 

But then also she could have been talking about herself as a little girl, a best friend, a cousin, a friend's little girl, so ya, you never know.

We got a lot of riddles like that too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meowsrus
by MamaKitty on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mrsbrimer:

I want to learn about my family like this but all those sites cost money!

The only money I ever spent on looking was for stamps,envelopes, paper- that kind of stuff.  I have never paid a site.  It is possible without it, but the advantage to them is seeing if other extended family members might have some info up- or getting to more easily search through some of the census records.

But I have searched census, SSI, and immigration info on several sites for free- now getting physical copies of the info, that costs $.

But court house, SSI death index, registrars, and even simply googling can get you really far!

jencrazywith2
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM
My maternal great grand parents were first cousins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Well, we're not even in the same state as most of my family. Maybe when we visit for Christmas. I'll also be making a point to call my grandmother so I can hear more of my Dad's side of the family.

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting HistoryNutty:

My maternal great grandmother was in the revolution in Mexico. She was also the oldest person to naturalize in 97 or 98 right before or after she turned 100. She died that same year. I was able to go to her funeral, and so many people were there! I was 10 at the time and met my mother's family for the first time then.

My paternal grandmother loves family history, and told me a couple things about her grandparents. They were slave owners in Texas. Once the north won the civil war, they bought each of their slaves land in their own name and helped build them houses on their own land.

I want to learn more about both my families! I don't know very much about my Dad's family and my mom's family doesn't talk about history very much. My mom's family are more drama driven and love to gossip. Ugh.

I hope you do get to find out more! Subtle asking is the way to get the ones who usually don't open up.  but if you have a video recorder and tell them your making a 'time capsule' for your kids, they might open up ;-)  That worked for a few people for us- and it's loads of family history for my girls

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieGenie
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM
My great grandfather was 58 when he married my great grandma. She was 16. She had six children and died when she was 28.
Two of my cousins are in prison for murder.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:24 AM

de taal die ik heb het over het Nederlands niet duits. maar toch bedankt voor het proberen. Ook heb ik niet verwijzen naar met een materiƫle, maar de mogelijkheid om het Verzamelen van mijn Friese familie door mijn gebrek aan kennis met de Nederlandse taal. het internet is echter geweldig voor vertalingen enz. Maar het voorziet niet in de mogelijkheid om verbinding met een familienaam intiem genoeg om de "familie geheimen" parsay te plannen.

Ook, nee dank u voor de geschiedenisles, want ik vond het een beetje vernederend en unwarrented.

goedenacht

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting bustybee:

Oh I am sure there is, but unfortunately I don't speak dutch so I can read them to find them out

If it is "Deutsch", that's german and you could get it translated at a local college or even a HS where they teach it.  (I took German in HS).  Now there are other languages that are called "Dutch" and there are some Universitites abroad that will help do translating on them to also help preserve their history and teach students about the history (and translating).  So many countries lost records becaue of WWI and WWII you might have something to help re-build what was lost. 

The western European countries and some of the newly non-communism W.Euro countries are doing this.  Not all places, but with the internet, talking to someone from there is a click away.

meowsrus
by MamaKitty on Apr. 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Quoting bustybee:

de taal die ik heb het over het Nederlands niet duits. maar toch bedankt voor het proberen. Ook heb ik niet verwijzen naar met een materiƫle, maar de mogelijkheid om het Verzamelen van mijn Friese familie door mijn gebrek aan kennis met de Nederlandse taal. het internet is echter geweldig voor vertalingen enz. Maar het voorziet niet in de mogelijkheid om verbinding met een familienaam intiem genoeg om de "familie geheimen" parsay te plannen.

Ook, nee dank u voor de geschiedenisles, want ik vond het een beetje vernederend en unwarrented.

goedenacht

Quoting meowsrus:

Quoting bustybee:

Oh I am sure there is, but unfortunately I don't speak dutch so I can read them to find them out

If it is "Deutsch", that's german and you could get it translated at a local college or even a HS where they teach it.  (I took German in HS).  Now there are other languages that are called "Dutch" and there are some Universitites abroad that will help do translating on them to also help preserve their history and teach students about the history (and translating).  So many countries lost records becaue of WWI and WWII you might have something to help re-build what was lost. 

The western European countries and some of the newly non-communism W.Euro countries are doing this.  Not all places, but with the internet, talking to someone from there is a click away.

Wow, sorry voor het beledigen van u zodat u wat extra ifo. Het is moeilijk om veel verhalen krijgen over familieleden als het uit een land over-zee en weer zoveel generaties dat niemand die wist hen is meer in leven.

Sorry ook voor willen weten waarin de Nederlandse, maar zoveel mensen hebben verward hen: Ik dacht dat het misschien nuttig om te weten dat ze vaak verward voor elkaar omdat ze hetzelfde klinken.

Ik hoop dat u veel succes met je zoektocht, ieder van ons doet het veel van dezelfde problemen, gebrek aan informatie, gebrek aan verhalen, het ontbreken van de mogelijkheid om de juiste documenten te krijgen, en als we dat doen moeilijk om alle informatie te krijgen we moeten van hen.

oh en sorry dat ik al heb je misschien met hetzelfede probleem ik was. Dat alle documenten die ik heb zijn niet alleen in de eigen taal, maar bozoedeld door een lokaal dialect dat niet meer bestaat. Ik zal ze te laten naar een universiteit in Europa hopen dat ze het kunnen vertalen omdat er nergens op de computer om te kunnen een dobe dialect te vertalen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)