Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this the "norm" for an annual gynecological exam?? I'm kinda freaked out. :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

I'm fairly new to the city I live in, and recently had my first exam since moving here.  I was referred to a doc by a friend of mine, but wasn't able to get in with her, so I got in with another doc from the same office.  I've actually never had a female gyno, so it didn't bother me that this doc is a male.

There were a couple things that were different during this exam that I have never experienced before.  While he was doing the pap, he said everything looks good, no abnormalities from what I can see.  Okay, that's fine.  But when he went to do a pelvic, he took his free hand and raised the sheet and looked at my tummy.  He said he was looking for c-section scars.  I said "no, all three of my children were vaginal births".  He said "that's amazing".  O.O  WHAT???  Then, he asked me to do a kegel and hold it, saying it was to see if I was doing them correctly. I did one, and he said "okay, you are DEFINITELY doing it correctly, you can let go.  Your husband must be very happy." and then he let out a little chuckle. 

I'm definitely NOT going back to this particular doc. I  feel that his comments VERY unprofessional at best.  BUT, I'm 35 years old and I have NEVER had a doc as me to do a keagle during the exam.  Is this protocall?  Have my other docs the past 20 years just overlooked the kegel test? 

***ETA***  There was one other person in the room.   A male student doc. 

I couldn't say anything at the time, as I was having a hard time processing what I was hearing.  I was actually speechless.

I don't want to deal with reporting him, since it sounds like other women have experienced the kegel test as well.  Some women don't mind that kind of  "humor", but it made me uncomfortable (call me a prude if you wish)  I don't want to ruin a person's reputation or  career because of a little uneasiness on my part. I just choose to not return to this particular doc. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Really? If this is serious, do you even have to ask if this was normal?

Fuck no, it's not. Report his ass.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Creeper!!!!!!!!!!

I would have reported him. Sorry, he sounded like a perv. "Your husband must be very happy" was way out of line, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheesyKitty
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Creepy for sure with his comments, but at my 6 week post pardom my dr. had me do a kegel, so I say choose a different dr because you are uncomfortable, but Im not sure if his actions were out of line. Except he could have ASKED about c-sections before hand. Creepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yes, his comments are very out of line. That's what he needs to reported on.

I don't know if the kegal thing is routine, I've never experienced that, seems a little off to me. But, doctors do different things I guess. I know women who have said they got a finger up the rear during their pap...never had that happen to me either. Lol.

His comments, creepy, unprofessional, he needs to be reported.

Quoting CheesyKitty:

Creepy for sure with his comments, but at my 6 week post pardom my dr. had me do a kegel, so I say choose a different dr because you are uncomfortable, but Im not sure if his actions were out of line. Except he could have ASKED about c-sections before hand. Creepy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

My female dr asked if I did them... but she didn't make me do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I can assure you it's very serious.  I know his words are definitely out of line, and that alone is enough to make me not want to go back.  I didn't know if the kegel test was a new thing that had been added to a routine exam.  In a way, I could kind of understand if it was a new protocall.  Making sure women do them correctly could prevent other medical issues.  It just struck me as odd.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Really? If this is serious, do you even have to ask if this was normal?

Fuck no, it's not. Report his ass.

Xat
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I have never had a doctor do a kegel test.

Emily18234
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Da fuck??????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trisha234
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM
He's a creep. Don't walk to another doctor...run! He is out of line with that happy husband comment. Gross!
maddie02
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM
There was no reason for him to be testing your kegal except to get his kicks. I wouldn't go back. Was a nurse present during the physical exam?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)