Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this the "norm" for an annual gynecological exam?? I'm kinda freaked out. :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm fairly new to the city I live in, and recently had my first exam since moving here.  I was referred to a doc by a friend of mine, but wasn't able to get in with her, so I got in with another doc from the same office.  I've actually never had a female gyno, so it didn't bother me that this doc is a male.

There were a couple things that were different during this exam that I have never experienced before.  While he was doing the pap, he said everything looks good, no abnormalities from what I can see.  Okay, that's fine.  But when he went to do a pelvic, he took his free hand and raised the sheet and looked at my tummy.  He said he was looking for c-section scars.  I said "no, all three of my children were vaginal births".  He said "that's amazing".  O.O  WHAT???  Then, he asked me to do a kegel and hold it, saying it was to see if I was doing them correctly. I did one, and he said "okay, you are DEFINITELY doing it correctly, you can let go.  Your husband must be very happy." and then he let out a little chuckle. 

I'm definitely NOT going back to this particular doc. I  feel that his comments VERY unprofessional at best.  BUT, I'm 35 years old and I have NEVER had a doc as me to do a keagle during the exam.  Is this protocall?  Have my other docs the past 20 years just overlooked the kegel test? 

***ETA***  There was one other person in the room.   A male student doc. 

I couldn't say anything at the time, as I was having a hard time processing what I was hearing.  I was actually speechless.

I don't want to deal with reporting him, since it sounds like other women have experienced the kegel test as well.  Some women don't mind that kind of  "humor", but it made me uncomfortable (call me a prude if you wish)  I don't want to ruin a person's reputation or  career because of a little uneasiness on my part. I just choose to not return to this particular doc. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
zoo003
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I have had dr's do the kegel test.  However, his comments were way out of line. 

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Wow. I'm pretty sure that another female must be present.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, just a male student.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Yeah. I don't know if the kegel thing is routine. I never had that happen to me, so I thought that was a little off as well.

His comments are what gets me. I would report him. Was there a female nurse in the room with you?

Quoting Anonymous:

I can assure you it's very serious.  I know his words are definitely out of line, and that alone is enough to make me not want to go back.  I didn't know if the kegel test was a new thing that had been added to a routine exam.  In a way, I could kind of understand if it was a new protocall.  Making sure women do them correctly could prevent other medical issues.  It just struck me as odd.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Really? If this is serious, do you even have to ask if this was normal?

Fuck no, it's not. Report his ass.

kngarber
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM
This. Wow

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstevens10
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/85/3/269.full

this talks about manual muscle testing

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Not sure about those rules.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Yeah. I don't know if the kegel thing is routine. I never had that happen to me, so I thought that was a little off as well.

His comments are what gets me. I would report him. Was there a female nurse in the room with you?

Quoting Anonymous:

I can assure you it's very serious.  I know his words are definitely out of line, and that alone is enough to make me not want to go back.  I didn't know if the kegel test was a new thing that had been added to a routine exam.  In a way, I could kind of understand if it was a new protocall.  Making sure women do them correctly could prevent other medical issues.  It just struck me as odd.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

ARmomOf3
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM

fucking creeper.... did you have a nurse in there with you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

No.  There was only a male student doc.

Quoting ARmomOf3:

fucking creeper.... did you have a nurse in there with you?

Earth_Mama90
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
No they do not. I've only been checked by a male once and I was 16 and no female of any kind was there

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terra3
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
That is definitely out of line and I would report it. Was there anyone else in the room with you? At every pap or vaginal exam I've ever had the doctor will not start until someone else, usually a nurse, is in the room. The nurse doesn't do anything other than stand by my head or by the door but it's done for the safety of the patient and the doctor. I thought this was standard practice but maybe not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

CREEPY!! I'd report him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN