Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this the "norm" for an annual gynecological exam?? I'm kinda freaked out. :(

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm fairly new to the city I live in, and recently had my first exam since moving here.  I was referred to a doc by a friend of mine, but wasn't able to get in with her, so I got in with another doc from the same office.  I've actually never had a female gyno, so it didn't bother me that this doc is a male.

There were a couple things that were different during this exam that I have never experienced before.  While he was doing the pap, he said everything looks good, no abnormalities from what I can see.  Okay, that's fine.  But when he went to do a pelvic, he took his free hand and raised the sheet and looked at my tummy.  He said he was looking for c-section scars.  I said "no, all three of my children were vaginal births".  He said "that's amazing".  O.O  WHAT???  Then, he asked me to do a kegel and hold it, saying it was to see if I was doing them correctly. I did one, and he said "okay, you are DEFINITELY doing it correctly, you can let go.  Your husband must be very happy." and then he let out a little chuckle. 

I'm definitely NOT going back to this particular doc. I  feel that his comments VERY unprofessional at best.  BUT, I'm 35 years old and I have NEVER had a doc as me to do a keagle during the exam.  Is this protocall?  Have my other docs the past 20 years just overlooked the kegel test? 

***ETA***  There was one other person in the room.   A male student doc. 

I couldn't say anything at the time, as I was having a hard time processing what I was hearing.  I was actually speechless.

I don't want to deal with reporting him, since it sounds like other women have experienced the kegel test as well.  Some women don't mind that kind of  "humor", but it made me uncomfortable (call me a prude if you wish)  I don't want to ruin a person's reputation or  career because of a little uneasiness on my part. I just choose to not return to this particular doc. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (71-72):
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

That's possible as well. :)

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

Ya or maybe it isn't law but docs require it in their offices to protect them selves...

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Maybe it varies by state? I've been checked my males multiple times. And everytime, they always had to have a nurse present, always a female too. But that could just be by chance. Lol. I have heard that a female must be present though.

I've had exams checked by females as well, and a nurse was always there. Maybe it really depends on state laws?

Quoting Earth_Mama90:

No they do not. I've only been checked by a male once and I was 16 and no female of any kind was there

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The sheet thing combined with his comment threw me off too. That was my first  eye-pop, jaw-drop.

Quoting SnapIt:

OH HEEEEEEEEEELL NO!

Looking for a scar would raised the eyebrow, but when he said to squeeze to do a kegel, i would've gotten the hell up from the table asap. Those comments alone that he said to you after were out of line and not professional at all. 

You should report this. I could only imagine how many other women he's done this to and they haven't mentioned anything out of embarrassment or being a NEW patient like yourself and just opt to not go back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)