Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How common is this after birth...? *some tmi*

When I gave birth to ds, the nurse pushed on my stomach to get the blood out. I hated it. I felt like a water balloon filled with jello...then whooosh the blood-*gag*

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:10 AM
It is always done, but a GOOD nurse will show you how to do it yourself so its not as painful.

Its to make sure your uterus is contracting down and not bleeding excessively. Blood can clot in the uterus preventing it from contracting down and returning to the needed firm state. Again, this is something they should show you how to do yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Very common, it's called a fundal check. Makes sure your uterus is staying firm so you don't bleed. And yes, they are suppose to check just as regularly after c/s as they do vag delivery. If your not bleeding and your uterus is firm and low, no problems, it's when it starts to relax and fill up with blood are they mashing down on your belly to get the blood clots out.

champagne_rose
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Yes. Then they would come in like every 2-4 hrs and push more on my tummy. Ugh. It was gross.

It is very gross. I don't know if I could do it myself though, like I read here...

It's just so gross to me. I dread that. This should be on the list of things they don't tell you about birth but should! I was like wtf.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM
They did that to me the day after. I was like wtf you doin? To my doc. Ha. It fucking hurt and i wa sso pissed.
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM

That's something different. It's called fundal pressure and it's used to help deliver the baby.

Quoting lovebeingmrs:

They did that to me while I was pushing my son out.. It hurt so bad and I thought I was going to die

champagne_rose
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Quoting bellawomen:

It is always done, but a GOOD nurse will show you how to do it yourself so its not as painful.

Its to make sure your uterus is contracting down and not bleeding excessively. Blood can clot in the uterus preventing it from contracting down and returning to the needed firm state. Again, this is something they should show you how to do yourself.

I can't imagine doing it myself...is it less gross feeling. I can't handle it too well. I hated it so much.

HisMommy4Ever
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM

The nurse did that to me. Ugh! I was so emberassed. Alot of blood came out and I dirtied the bed I was laying on. I had to get up so she could change the covers...I was more emberrased than hurt...it didn't hurt at all!

Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM
I don't remember it hurting but yes they did that to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM
Not with my first, but the doc did with my second. And I was told to do it, I forget how often. They showed me how to feel for my uterus (which was so cool!), and if it got hard, then I needed to massage it more often.
I had a quicker recovery with my second, I was on my feet almost immediately, but I did bleed longer. The doc said rubbing me like that was probably worse than labor :(
Congrats on your baby!!! Hope you heal quick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

My doc did that too. After a c section I thought she was trying to kill me. :( it hurt so bad. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)