Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's incredibly insulting when you say religions are myths.

Posted by   + Show Post

I fully understanding someone not believing in the theory of religion, thats fine with me. I will not force feed it to you. You either believe or you dont, you use your freewill as you please.

I respect your theory as much as my own. All I ask for is just a bit of the respect I give to you. Atheism is a theory, as is the big bang. Even if you dont think anything ever happened and you just were randomly born, thats a theory. So why does religion get discredited and mixed into the pile of Disney products? Is religion a theory? YES!

If something can not be proven as fact, it's a theory. 

Please do not refer to holy books as books of fairytale. They are books of theory. Almost like mini textbooks of ideas. 

It's really insulting to see someone of you downgrade religions or ideas. If you don't agree, please show respect to their theory and keep it moving!

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (421-430):
LuvCoopins
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I'm going to go get a banana now...

Ataemommy
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
It certainly isn't. You could be arrested for sexual assault.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

It's not my place to condim anyone. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Is it ok to say, "I see it as a myth", or, "It's a myth to me"?

I personally don't give a rat's patootie what anyone thinks. If someone says something negative against your beliefs, I don't understand why people take offense to that publicly. Why not just sit smugly behind your computer screen and quietly condem that person to whatever fate your religion prescribes to a non-believer. Smugness is the American way, after all. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Those who love, respect and obey God commands are already experiencing heaven on earth. God lavishes His children with love and showers us with blessings. True happiness is granted on earth to those who embrace the purpose this existence was meant to serve. We will take our place in heaven where we will be in pure ecstasy. We are lifesavers if we can plant one seed we can help save a life for all eternity.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I disagree.

To have faith and be resigned to the fact that you are living for God for the express purpose of going to heaven is counter-intuitive to your arguement here. Atheists believe that this life is all we have and your actions matter not, for once we die, that's it. That is not necessarily a negative. Anyone can choose to live a life full of positivity and do great things in the spirit of life, not just in the name of God. Beautiful accidents can do and give life to great things. Frederic Nietzsche was a staunch atheist, he did great things and left his mark on the philosophical world. Many people who make the world a better place, through service, commerce, or technology, are atheist. It has nothing to do with religion, it's just about leaving a footprint and doing the best you can with the time you are given.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I do, indeed believe we are all scientific accidents. Extraordinary scientific accidents. The human body is an amazing organism.

I suppose what I'm not completely clear on is the last line here in the post I quoted. If one gets up everyday and chooses to keep on existing, if they choose to speak, or type, as the case may be, and the words coming from said person do having meaning to that person, is that not putting out an effort? What's the purpose of your effort? Are you going down in history? Everything you say and do will be erased. Here now, gone tomorrow. Do you know the person once named Julie Campbell who was born into this world as an 'ordanary' person 100 years ago? Do you know about all the wonderful things she did in her lifetime? No. Because according to your theory that you give power to, she was just another beautiful accident... a mistake. Her life was lived without reason. Does having belief in God that He created the universe they only thing that gives one's life validity?
He is the only reason we are.

littlepinkrose
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I think if you are strong in your faith it should not matter. I tried earlier to debate and I was wrong on something and got really bashed when I said I did not want to research being a Pagan.  Whatever I was wrong but so.  And if someone says they are right and you disagree then let it go.  We all believe what we want and should be able to do so.  I figure if I say something wrong and someone takes that as gospel and does not do there homework then that is there fault. I never take what I read on here as fact by anyone unless I know for sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yes, really- I don't know any Christians who will give creedence to Native American religion stories... Raven making the moon and such and yes, they were made of clay, too, from the earth.... is a myth.

I personally think that Christians should not be insulted when others think it's a myth.  There is a lot about it that follows the old pagan stuff, and solar and astronomy calendar.  And it sounds like it could be ancient aliens!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Like it of not, the bible was written by man.......

Get enough people behind an idea and bam!!!!

Next we will start believing in pink unicorns just cause someone says they are real!!!

LiliM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

When did I ever call your belief a myth? I dont even know what it is. I was nothing but respectful of others religions.  

Quoting LiliM:

Yawn.

Ok.

I'll be respectful of your non proved myth and you quit telling me my myth is less than yours. Then we can all be respectful of others from a nice distance.

As long as they do not fall under your idea of myth, which you explain here. Religion could be classed as a non- scientific theory, since you are insisting on using the word, but it's also based on myth, social stories to explain that which was not explainable otherwise.  The Greeks and Romans believed 110% in their faith, just as you do.  There is no proof that their version of heaven did not exist, other than the book called the bible, written by man, says so.  Meh.  Whatever. 

Your faith is based on a myth, a non scientific idea, just as everyone elses' is.  I can call it a myth, and you don't have to like it.  Big deal.  also, your bible is a holy book to you.  Good for you.  But to attempt to censor others, insist that it's SO holy that NO ONE can refer to it in a manner objectionable to you - well, that is what the radical Muslims are doing, you know, when they bust up the place of a paper that mocked the Quran?

So yes, I find it dismissive, and condescending.  Your myth is a theory - the rest - like the Greeks and Romans - they are akin to Disney tales.  No one should be disrespectful of your holy book. 

I think it's a book of parable, a book designed to keep order and establish societal expectations.  You don't.  Good for you.  Good for me too.  We don't agree.  Nothing to be offended over. 

However, not only are you offended, you want to make a big assed deal of it.  Whatever.  Get over yourself.  Standing up and believing in something means you take the heat from those that don't believe.  And support your belief without denigrating the beliefs of others- which, while you cling to the word "theory" like a life raft, you also regulate the beliefs of others that seem outlandish to the realm of fairy tales.

You're all that you're complaining of.  Have a nice day.  As you said, we shall have to agree to disagree.  Don't bother replying.  No need to continue this.  :)

by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

No. It is not. You clearly misunderstand the meaning of the word myth, even though I gave you a definition.

Disney princesses are FICTION. Which is not the same as myth. Neither is "old fiction story" such as the Grimm's Fairy Tales. Those are not "myths". 

A myth is a story or collection of stories which were or are used to answer those questions that cannot be answered by man alone. They are religious in nature, and represent the beliefs of a wide variety of peoples.

Shockingly, the only people I've ever seen get upset at the use of this word is Christians. Most of the rest of the world knows that the old stories of their religions are called "myths" ... that's what the word means.

You seem to have your very own dictionary. Never have I seen anyone insist that religious beliefs should be classified as "theories" or that Disney Princess stories are "myths" ... where do you get your information?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

A myth is on the same level as Disney princesses.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Honest question with no snark here please.

Why is "theory" less offensive than "myth"? They both have the same basic meaning in this context...

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm insulted, I just found out clash of the titans didn't really happen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

If people are respectful of my views of religion or lack of , I am more than respectful of theirs.  Just don't try to push your belief on me and I won't on you, but as soon as you start pushing it on me, then I will make your head spin and you will regret it.  I have made religious people cry when they come to my door and won't leave.....

chloesmommy777
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM

And allow moi to add, "Those who believe in God need no explanation. Those who do not believe in God, any explanation is impossible for them to comprehend."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)