Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm ready to just let her go hungry......

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 190 Replies

I've decided on a new schedule for my DD(age 3), which includes set meal and snack times. and if she doesnt eat a meal, she wont get a snack which means if she wont eat her dinner, she will go to bed hungry.She also wont be allowed drinks during meals, since I've noticed that she will drink her whole cup and then refuse her food.I'm so far beyond tired of making her seperate meals and fighting with her to get her to eat her dinner. im not a short order cook, she should eat what she is given and thats the end of it.I've given in to her for too long and I'm done.

Every meal always has at least one thing she likes so I don't see a problem with it.

We have a baby due in July, so its gonna be too much of a hassle to seperate meals every night.That and I don't want her setting a bad example for her sister when she goes on solid foods.

What do yo do when your kid(s) wont eat?

Since I apparently have to spell it out, this is her new schedule:

8am-breakfast

11:30am- lunch

2pm-snack

5pm-dinner

7:30pm-snack

8pm-bath

8:30pm-bed.

by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I just tell him to go to his room until he wants to eat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Try it. Trail & error
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM
4 moms liked this

We have a rule and it works really great for us.  Dont like dinner?  2 bites of each item, say "no thank you I dont care for this, but I appreciate you making it." They then make themselves a pb&j and a glass of milk.  Even my 3 year olds were taugh this. 

gum.drop
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Mine don't have schedules but they eat what u give them or they don't eat, I try to make something I know they will eat .... But it's their choice, well more the 3yr old the 17month old still gets catered to a bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My 4 year old DS is relatively picky. I don't think he likes meat very much...and forget veggies. But he will eat fruit and if he won't eat what's for dinner, he gets a Pb sandwich.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM
5 moms liked this

personally I would not let my kids go hungry.

MooreBoysMama
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM
3 moms liked this
This is what 3 year olds do. They eat when they are hungry. I don't worry about my son, he can go days with hardly eating and then eat everything in sight.

His older brother was the same way, now he is 5 and eats just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyBellaRosey
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I would try offering whatever the meal was as the snack if she gets hungry. IF she is hungry she will eat it. I don't think it is a good idea to let her go with out a meal and snack, especially for dinnertime, when she won't eat again until the morning. Try making a list of foods she likes and maybe give her a choice early in the day. " Would you like chicken nuggets and brocolli or Maccaroni with ham and peas."   

Twisted.Jester
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM
7 moms liked this

They eat what they are given or they do not eat.  Now as teenagers I do not have a problem with vegetables, milk, meat, nothing.  Because they know I am not a short order cook and this is not a restaurant.

I don't purposefully make foods they hate, but I am not making separate meals for three children either.

Eat what I make, or go to bed hungry.  Simple as that.

plprincess78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If mine chose not to eat what they are given they don't get a snack.  I will occasionally put their dinner in the fridge and if they get hungry later they can eat that but more times than not if they dont want to eat when everyone else does then they go hungry for the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN