Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm ready to just let her go hungry......

Posted by   + Show Post

I've decided on a new schedule for my DD(age 3), which includes set meal and snack times. and if she doesnt eat a meal, she wont get a snack which means if she wont eat her dinner, she will go to bed hungry.She also wont be allowed drinks during meals, since I've noticed that she will drink her whole cup and then refuse her food.I'm so far beyond tired of making her seperate meals and fighting with her to get her to eat her dinner. im not a short order cook, she should eat what she is given and thats the end of it.I've given in to her for too long and I'm done.

Every meal always has at least one thing she likes so I don't see a problem with it.

We have a baby due in July, so its gonna be too much of a hassle to seperate meals every night.That and I don't want her setting a bad example for her sister when she goes on solid foods.

What do yo do when your kid(s) wont eat?

Since I apparently have to spell it out, this is her new schedule:

8am-breakfast

11:30am- lunch

2pm-snack

5pm-dinner

7:30pm-snack

8pm-bath

8:30pm-bed.

by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Replies (181-190):
comf
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Look, I agree with most everything you are saying here.

I just think that if she is hungry at snack time either way (if she does eat dinner/lunch or not) then you shouldn't withhold that snack time.
Toddlers need to eat small frequent meals throughout the day. (I'm assuming snack is not ice cream or candy, its something healthy.) I agree that if she doesn't eat dinner she shouldn't get dessert.

Quoting mcr17:

why do you have to immediately assume she wont be hungry at snack time?????

and why the hell do you have to pick apart every little thing i say?

Quoting comf:

Then why have it as a regular schedule? Eating snacks everyday even though you are not hungry seems like it would lead to obesity.

Quoting dmarie2101:

idc what it is. a snack is a snack is a snack. its not necessary, and the kid isnt going to die from not having one. not getting a snack--whether ice cream or carrots--is not this huge issue youre making it out to be.

Quoting comf:

She is the one who said she offers healthy snacks as part of the meal plan. To me a snack is avocado roll ups, carrot and cucumber with hummus, turkey & cheese, etc.

if the snack is actually a 'treat ' like popcorn or ice cream of course she shouldn't get it.

Quoting dmarie2101:

the same reason you have popcorn with a movie and a hot dog at a baseball game. its more of a treat than anything. and not necessary nor mandatory for a childs growth and development, as an actual meal is.

Quoting comf:

So if she isn't hungry after eating a meal, why give a snack?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cristi1004
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

If it were my child, I'd do the schedule like you have. The only change I'd make is that if dd refuses dinner, I'd offer it again at evening snack.

wodntulk2kno1
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Gurl...you know they would pick you apart with this post..lol..frustration is what your feeling, of course your not going to let your child starve. I agree with the no liquids...my kids were always thirsty. She will get the hang of it and realize she has meal times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marihla
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Power to ya, mommy! Kids don't starve themselves, they can eat when the food is there. Not hungry, fine! Don't like the peas? eat the potatoes! Oh, you're full? then we'll wrap your plate up and you can eat it when you hungry in half an hour!  This is the way I am. Food should not be an issue in the household, there's so many other things to worry about.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Quoting mcr17:

Lol she's obviously being obtuse on purpose just to yank your chain ...ignore it. Your schedule looks fine to me. I give a snack between brekkie and lunch. If DD wants it, she eat it and I never give juice. Its always water or organic milk with meals/snacks

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Ataemommy
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM
If you don't eat what I make, you don't eat. As a result, I don't have picky kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThirtyPlusTwo
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM
That's what do. I offer three meals and three snacks a day. If they refuse to eat at a meal or snack time, then they can wait until the next meal or snack time. I absolutely refuse to cater to picky eaters, meaning they do not get PB & J or whatever if they decide that the meal/snack is something they "don't like."

All of my food offerings are tasty and nutritious and there is always at least one thing they really like.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea_4_me_please
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I'm sorry if I came across as rude or judging ....actually if you're planning on her going to school, meal schedule is important. I guess I should have made it more clear that I was just stating what we do.

Quoting mcr17:

why is making meals and snack predictable a bad thing?

and i dont feed her junk food.

Quoting Tea_4_me_please:

I don't buy junk food snacks so anytime one of my kids is hungry,they can eat. We have plenty of fresh fruit and veggies prepared in a snack drawer in the refrigerator so if they do snack,it healthy and I'm all for that! Is there a specific reason she must eat on your schedule? If our girls don't eat dinner,I don't make a separate meal,but they can have health snacks if they choose.I agree with the drink part mostly. We give the girls about 2oz of water with their meal and refill if they're eating and ask for more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcr17
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

she will be going to school i just dont know when. my husband wants her to go to preschool by the middle of next year but i kinda dont want her to go at all. i dont wanna let go of my baby :(

Quoting Tea_4_me_please:

I'm sorry if I came across as rude or judging ....actually if you're planning on her going to school, meal schedule is important. I guess I should have made it more clear that I was just stating what we do.

Quoting mcr17:

why is making meals and snack predictable a bad thing?

and i dont feed her junk food.

Quoting Tea_4_me_please:

I don't buy junk food snacks so anytime one of my kids is hungry,they can eat. We have plenty of fresh fruit and veggies prepared in a snack drawer in the refrigerator so if they do snack,it healthy and I'm all for that! Is there a specific reason she must eat on your schedule? If our girls don't eat dinner,I don't make a separate meal,but they can have health snacks if they choose.I agree with the drink part mostly. We give the girls about 2oz of water with their meal and refill if they're eating and ask for more.

MyBellaRosey
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

No what I meant was have her help plan the meals that way she will be more into it, since she chose it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN