Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I believe people with less education spank their children....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why Spanking Is a Bad Idea

Spanking is a mild form of corporal punishment. The American Academy of Pediatrics (as well as many, many child development experts) strongly opposes ever spanking a child. Whether or not parents believe in spanking their kids seems to be somewhat based on the time and place (in the Midwest in the '50s, spanking and much stronger physical abuse was simply an acceptable part of β€œchild rearing”). It's also related to the education level of the parent (the more educated, the less likely they are to spank). 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Yea well I'm dumb as shit and I never spank my kids....so THERE!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I don't agree my parents were very educated and they spanked when needed I can count on one hand how many times I was spanked. I am educated and I have spanked as as a last result.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I assume the OP is one of those controversial no-disipline parents who refrains from giving her children discipline, structure, or responsibility. As such, I have 1 iota of advice. you parent your way, I'll parent my way and we will see that our children will turn out fine. (even if I personally feel that my children will turn out better lol)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I don't think a generalization like that sticks well. Whether people spank or not depends on a variety of factors. It often tends to be more highly correlated with whether someone's own parents spanked and if it their method of disciplining was effective or not. My parents didn't spank and I don't because what my parents did was effective and so my tendency is to follow the same methods. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I thought so too but apparently not. Like i said, here we go. Watch the chaos ensue

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

popcornHere we go

poor horsie I thought dead was dead. did someone bring the horse back to life?

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

scoot over so I can see

Quoting Anonymous:

popcornHere we go

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

my parents were incredibly well educated and spanked us silly.  im a highschool drop out and never once laid a finger on my kids. so screw that theory

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I have a masters degree and I spank my children. Life or limb is my rule and never any more than 5 'smacks'

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

bet it gets over 300 responses and then blip it dissapears.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought so too but apparently not. Like i said, here we go. Watch the chaos ensue

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

popcornHere we go

poor horsie I thought dead was dead. did someone bring the horse back to life?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Spanking is not your main method of disciplining just like your parents didn't use it as their main form of discipline. I think this refers to those who use it as the only form of discipline. 

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

I don't agree my parents were very educated and they spanked when needed I can count on one hand how many times I was spanked. I am educated and I have spanked as as a last result.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN