Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To the mommies who smoke.....

Posted by   + Show Post

When did you start? Why did you start? Haven't the ads about cancer and pictures of black lungs and the fact that you are shortening you life expectancy, and in essence taking yourself away from your child/children? It seems interesting to me and I would like to know your reasons. Not looking down on you just curious.

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Replies (221-230):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Been smoking since I was 10 years old, that is now 23 years, my mother was a smoker. I have suffered none of the side effects that are contributed to smoking, nor has my mother at the age of 56. None of my children have suffered ill effects from my smoking. Scare tactics don't really get to me especially when several of my doctors are smokers. It's too easy to blame smokers for everything wrong in the world and tax the hell out of them. Ultimately people will stop smoking from taxation and the government will find that Alcohol makes you ugly and tax the hell out of it. 

Well my mom didn't suffer any affects of smoking until she was 56, and then a few months later she was dead from lung cancer. Before that she was fine. Its not scare tactics that smoking is bad for you, and your children. If you smoke around children it WILL lower their immune system and make them more susceptible to getting sick. This isn't made up its fact. You just keep telling your self all this stuff if it makes you feel better, but its not true.

You can sit here and keep saying the same lines about your mom, but no offense.. we dont' give a shit.  Our brains are programmed BY nicotine to delete you and your story from our thoughts. True or not, Fact or not. Doesn't matter, you clearly have no idea how nicotine works.. perhaps you need to study that, before trying to tell us what WE are doing wrong.  We know, but the nicotine represses the urge to fight against it. Unless you understand or have been through THAT... you are nothing but a person who's saying blah blah blah blah..

I did smoke for 10 years, then I quit. But even when I smoked a pack and 1\2 a day I wasnt stupid enough to think it wasnt really bad for me. But my point was people shouldnt smoke around kids, You on the other hand please continue to smoke. Alot! so you can hurry up and be deleted.

LectioDivina
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I've kicked cigarettes, heroin, pills, and benzodiazapenes...lol all at once... It can be done...I slipped back into the cigarettes a few times but once you have kids as an added incentive anything can be done.

This kind of sounds like a weak willed reply...

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Been smoking since I was 10 years old, that is now 23 years, my mother was a smoker. I have suffered none of the side effects that are contributed to smoking, nor has my mother at the age of 56. None of my children have suffered ill effects from my smoking. Scare tactics don't really get to me especially when several of my doctors are smokers. It's too easy to blame smokers for everything wrong in the world and tax the hell out of them. Ultimately people will stop smoking from taxation and the government will find that Alcohol makes you ugly and tax the hell out of it. 

Well my mom didn't suffer any affects of smoking until she was 56, and then a few months later she was dead from lung cancer. Before that she was fine. Its not scare tactics that smoking is bad for you, and your children. If you smoke around children it WILL lower their immune system and make them more susceptible to getting sick. This isn't made up its fact. You just keep telling your self all this stuff if it makes you feel better, but its not true.

You can sit here and keep saying the same lines about your mom, but no offense.. we dont' give a shit.  Our brains are programmed BY nicotine to delete you and your story from our thoughts. True or not, Fact or not. Doesn't matter, you clearly have no idea how nicotine works.. perhaps you need to study that, before trying to tell us what WE are doing wrong.  We know, but the nicotine represses the urge to fight against it. Unless you understand or have been through THAT... you are nothing but a person who's saying blah blah blah blah..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imabitweird
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I agree...I worked in Child care a few years ago and I could always tell which childrens' parents smoked. Its so sad, those poor kids smelling like smoke. Its really not fair.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Quoting Anonymous:

What about the fact that children of smokers smell horibble no matter how often they are bathed?  Or their clothes even when washed smell terrible!  Dont you feel bad for making your kids smell?

Love060708kids
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I smoked until I peed on a stick and said pregnant.  My nana died of lung cancer at the age of 62, everyone in my family smokes but I was able to quit with my husband and neither of us have started up again <3  It's been 7 years

imabitweird
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Wow! Thats so Awesome!!!!

Quoting LectioDivina:

I've kicked cigarettes, heroin, pills, and benzodiazapenes...lol all at once... It can be done...I slipped back into the cigarettes a few times but once you have kids as an added incentive anything can be done.

This kind of sounds like a weak willed reply...

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Perhaps for OUR children.. but no.. even 15 years ago, people knew very little about how the addiction effected the mind. In fact, I remember in school, being taught how cigarettes weren't a true drug as they weren't "addictives" like heroine.  But the truth is, nicotine is by far more addicting. Heroine may effect the body with withdrawls, but so does nicotine.   Besides which, MANY of our parents smoked, and STILL had the mentality that it was harmless. So taking home propoganda from school, while your families showed us different by continuing to smoke puts a perspective into younger kids minds.  By not knowing the level of addiction, kids truly thought it was something they could pick up and put down at any time.. it only takes 3 cigarettes for nicotine to reprogram our mind to have a lifetime of cravings for more nicotine. Something MANY of us didn't know.   You honestly assume too much here.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

The whole point is most people know how harmful it is BEFORE you ever take a drag off your first cigarette. I tried them in middle school in high school, but I never felt the need to do more then that to make people like me. I knew what it did to you and chose not to do that to my body.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wonder that myself. I don't think smokers are bad people but I definitely wonder why they choose to harm their bodies in such a harsh way when it's now proven fact that it will most likely be the sole cause of your death purely because I can't fathom smoking and enjoying something that's so deadly if I at all cared about my life and my children's future lives after my preventable death. It would be selfish at the same time as self destruction.

We dont' CHOOSE to harm our bodies.. you'd have to understand how nicotine addictions work. It literally reprograms the mind, so you don't want to quit, you don't see the truth about it and it down plays everything.

Please, research nicotine and how it affects and alters one's mind and perception on things..

reread these posts.. most say they "don't want to quit" and are in denial of how back it really is.. this is because of the nicotine. Unless you've been a smoker, you truly have NO idea what it's like, how it effects you, and how HARD it is to over come.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I'm in my 20's and no it's not bullshit. You clearly have no idea how nicotine effects the brain.  Thank you for posting this, and it shows your level of ignorance about nicotine.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Esp. for the younger generations in their 20's it's complete bull because anyone would know that they are deadly and not to use them before trying them.

I defintiely understand addiction. My mom was addicted to cigarretes growing up. I have an alcoholic and drug addicted bio father. I know what it is and how it manifests, but with cigarrettes your brain is all there, you can make the choice to get help if you want to.

Quoting marie85:

Maybe its not a choice. Maybe it is an addiction. Maybe you do not understand addiction.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wonder that myself. I don't think smokers are bad people but I definitely wonder why they choose to harm their bodies in such a harsh way when it's now proven fact that it will most likely be the sole cause of your death purely because I can't fathom smoking and enjoying something that's so deadly if I at all cared about my life and my children's future lives after my preventable death. It would be selfish at the same time as self destruction.

linzermonkey
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

i started when i was 19, when my parents were getting a divorce..quit when i got preg, started back up soon after, my bf was still smoking so made it too hard to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe for one second that folks have healthy lungs after smoking since they were 12 or 14!! What. the. fuck. ever. No one has healthy lungs if they smoke! I bet you guys  are very stupid ones that say "but I cough until I smoke then it stops!?"

It's not stupid.. that's truly how nicotine has altered a persons mind to think.  Nicotine effects the mind in ways you will never be able to understand.  What's stupid is people like yourselves, assuming you know all just because you don't smoke.   You truly have no idea what nicotine does to the body or mind.  The very stupid ones, like yourself, will jump into a conversation, that is titled "To the mommies WHO SMOKE"... and think their comments will have any effect on a smoker.

If you were smart, you'd realize how useless your comment was, and how you just wasted your time.  Why? Our minds, as smokers, will remove all memory of your comment, that's how nicotine works.  But you'd know that if you truly knew about smoking cigarettes... which again, is why your comment was a waste of time.

obviously, since you quoted me. You just wasted how much of your time to tell me I wasted mine? lol. Score for me!!

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't matter who is "right" or not.. "is smoking really worth not seeing your grandchildren grow up".. is a statement meant to envoke emotions, meant to shame a person into trying to see her point of view.. thus a bash.   But again, you have to understand how nicotine effects the mind.. because comments like that, dont work on addicts. They only enrage them.

Quoting little_buggie:

She wasn't bashing, she's RIGHT!!!!  However you are also right, the addiction is WICKED.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting cmorden06:

Well everyone I'm going to share a story. My mom started smoking when she was 13 and at the age of 46 she was diagnosed withh lung cancer. She passed away at the age of 48 when my daughter was 6 weeks old. Is smoking really worth not seeing your grandchildren grow up. Not bashing either

Yes, you are bashing. You know it, but think if you type "not bashing" people will think you are just trying to look after them. The truth is, we are well aware of what it does to us.  But you see, nicotine alters your thoughts and your mind.. after this post, most of us will have lit up a cigarette. the Nicotine will enter our mind, alter our memory and repress your message. So your point is futile. You have to understand how nicotine works on the mind to fully understand how addictive and deceptive it is. Having never personally experienced it yourself, you'll never be able to fully comprehend it.

To a smoker.. the addiction is so strong on the mind, when deprived of it, the body responds just as it would if food or water, or even air, where being deprived from it. It's a very strong, mind altering drug.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)