Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4yo Thumbsucker

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM
  • 23 Replies
Please help! My youngest DD will be 4 next month & still sucks her thumb. I have no experience with thumb sucking children so I've tried everything from a year of positive reinforcement to that bitter nail polish-like stuff, but nothing has worked. I know a lot of people say its not a big deal and its a comfort for her and all that, but 4 is old enough not to be doing that anymore. Her dentist just suggested I get her to quit ASAP because it is effecting her palate, which will lead to other oral issues. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

the only experience I have is with a friends DD, the mom would just ask her to take her fingers out of her mouth. it worked, but took time

LovelyJay512
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM

My parents use to tell me they would put hot sauce on my thumbs, that scared me outta it, lol.

diamondsetter
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Yes, that does work...temporarily. When I ask her to take her thumb out of her mouth, she does it immediately and then smiles. It stays out for up to a few hours at the most, then she's at it again. I've been doing that for probably 2 years :/

Quoting bustybee:

the only experience I have is with a friends DD, the mom would just ask her to take her fingers out of her mouth. it worked, but took time

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamondsetter
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Haha yes, I'm sure! And I hate to admit, but we've tried that too...she just sucks it off. Same as the bitter stuff. I swear, I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING.

Quoting LovelyJay512:

My parents use to tell me they would put hot sauce on my thumbs, that scared me outta it, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyJay512
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Lol. How cute a 4 y.o who likes hot sauce!! How about you reward her when she doesn't suck her thumb, introduce a "game" to her.

Quoting diamondsetter:

Haha yes, I'm sure! And I hate to admit, but we've tried that too...she just sucks it off. Same as the bitter stuff. I swear, I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING.

Quoting LovelyJay512:

babynurse454
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Leave her alone! She needs the comfort, my 10 year old sucks her thumb at bedtime, dr said leave her alone. Thank goodness the dentist said her teeth are great for a child that is her age and sucks her thumb! They will stop in their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mweddle
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

My daughter is 5 and still sucks her thumb.  Makes us crazy.  We don't know how to get it out of her mouth so we just remind her when we see it in her mouth.  She has an overbite.  I decided to just wait it out and see if peer pressure helps.

jamtags
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

i have a cat for that

ChefLee26
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
No but DS is the same :(
LilynAustin
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Ugh I hear you!!  My 4 year old and 5 year old still suck their thumbs.  It drives me nuts!!  Funny thing is, my youngest who will be two in a few weeks, doesn't suck her thumb.  I think I weaned my two older ones too early or something.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured