Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Muslim Women....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I haven't ever had any real contact with Muslim women (although I have with men oddly) and honestly thought they were very conservative due to the way they dress.  While at the mall dd was playing in the play land area with another kid.  The girl's mom was Muslim and in full dress with scarf coverings long skirt and stuff.  I smiled and said hello and introduced myself, and then we talked while the kids played for at least an hour!  I was really excited, she was so sweet, she was still learning English, and so friendly we talked about her family, her home country, and just everything.

I don't know why, but I always thought that Muslim women in full dress were not very out going and friendly...  Or maybe I just thought they were unapproachable?  It wasn't intentional and I have nothing against Muslims as I am friends with several Muslim men, I've just never known a Muslim woman.  IDK, but I'm so glad to have met her and I'm so glad that any stereotype I had (unintentional) was completely blown away.  We have plans to get together next week :)

Do you have any Muslim Women friends?  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrS96sS
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I've learned that you are not supposed to shake a man's hand is it the same with girls?!

Quoting MIA0223:

I am a Muslim woman. And I am very shy so I know that as well as my clothing choices make me seem unapproachable some times, lol.
Glad you met her an had a good experience!

bozobean
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM
That guy should've been arrested! If it were me, so help me, I would've either called the police, or hauled off and punched the guy silly myself. Of course, it's up to her to press charges, but man! He's lucky he didn't do it in front of me.

Quoting shortycmlb:

I had a friend of mine who literally got punched in the face by a man at the checkout counter. He didn't know we were shopping together and he came up to her and said hi are you new to this country? she said no, ive been here for years, and he called her a spy and terrorist and punched her. ugh. i don't think ive ever been that mad at someone in my life.

so many people judge a whole race over a handfuls actions (religion as well). yet they dont stop to think that muslims are NOT just in the war countries!!! but egypt, england, asia EVERYWHERE *sigh*

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sure do. :-) And we're just like anyone else , some of us are conservative and some aren't. Sadly, we're never quite sure how people will react to us these days which makes some more reserved.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Just men. No physical contact with the opposite sex except close family members.

Quoting MrS96sS:

I've learned that you are not supposed to shake a man's hand is it the same with girls?!

Quoting MIA0223:

I am a Muslim woman. And I am very shy so I know that as well as my clothing choices make me seem unapproachable some times, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bozobean
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM
He sounds like an awesome doctor. Those people who walk out without giving him a chance are being stupid. It's their loss. I would love to find a doctor like that. Is he in California by any chance?

Quoting darkwhisper:

I wouldn't have my son today if it weren't for a doctor who is Muslim. And several others who looked after while he was in the hospital. They were very nice and polite with me, and so sweet to my son. I became friends with one of them during our stay in the hospital. To this day, that doctor is my hero for saving my sons life. How can anyone be so cruel to someone else because of their religion, when they dedicate all they can to helping innocent children and sick adults? So many people have walked out of our ER when they found out he is the doctor on call. This breaks my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Yes my sister and hubby are Muslim. She is hispanic but became a full muslim when she married her husband.
redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

This is why when I run up to the pony keg up the street that is owned by a Muslim family, I slide my money across the counter instead to handing it directly to the husband or son.

Quoting MIA0223:

Just men. No physical contact with the opposite sex except close family members.

Quoting MrS96sS:

Quoting MIA0223:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bozobean
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I have a bunch of Muslim women friends here on CM. There was a Muslim girl in my college Spanish class who would dress modestly, with a pretty hijab headscarf everyday. She was really sweet, intelligent, cheerful and outgoing. She would suggest a party and ask/write down what everyone was going to bring, etc. She had a wonderful personality, and didn't seem shy or unapproachable at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a pony keg up the street from my house owned by a really nice Muslim family and a few months ago I was up there and there were 2 drunk hillbillies harassing them and they were asked several times to leave.

They were throwing racial slurs around and it pissed me off and it made me go off on them.

I stood toe to toe with them and after they left the son of the owner walked me out to my truck to make sure the guys didn't try and jump me.

I hate that there is blatant ignorance out there.

Quoting bozobean:

That guy should've been arrested! If it were me, so help me, I would've either called the police, or hauled off and punched the guy silly myself. Of course, it's up to her to press charges, but man! He's lucky he didn't do it in front of me.

Quoting shortycmlb:

I had a friend of mine who literally got punched in the face by a man at the checkout counter. He didn't know we were shopping together and he came up to her and said hi are you new to this country? she said no, ive been here for years, and he called her a spy and terrorist and punched her. ugh. i don't think ive ever been that mad at someone in my life.

so many people judge a whole race over a handfuls actions (religion as well). yet they dont stop to think that muslims are NOT just in the war countries!!! but egypt, england, asia EVERYWHERE *sigh*

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Sure do. :-) And we're just like anyone else , some of us are conservative and some aren't. Sadly, we're never quite sure how people will react to us these days which makes some more reserved.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MrS96sS
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Interesting and why is that? If you don't mind me asking

Quoting MIA0223:

Quoting MrS96sS:

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Same reason we cover, modesty.

Quoting MrS96sS:

Interesting and why is that? If you don't mind me asking

Quoting MIA0223:

Quoting MrS96sS:

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)