Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

France and Italy won't allow single women or lesbians to use artificial insemination...Should the US do the same?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Many European countries have strict rules on who is allowed to get fertility treatments: France and Italy forbid single women and lesbian couples from using artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization, or IVF, to conceive.

Do you think the US should do the same?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (191-200):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM

You really think that its going to stop lesbians from having a kid.  Do you think all lesbians who have kids together use ai?  Not the case here........

Quoting Anonymous:

I think they should in the case of lesbian couples. No repsonses needed, that's just the way I feel about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Assume whatever you want. I, however, was only commenting on the fertility treatments. It is unnatural to create a LIFE that would otherwise not even exist in the first place. I fund it creepy and unnecessary since those couples can adopt a child that was conceived in an organic manner.

Quoting KME445:

Great.  I'll assume you are leading the way with the whole "survival of the fittest" thing and would never dream of treating your own children/spouse/self with any medication not found in nature (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, antibiotics, steroids, etc.).  Otherwise, if your BS only stands for other people and their medical problems, you are nothing but a hypocrite.

Quoting Anonymous:

Perhaps

Quoting KME445:

So are treatments for cancer.  Ever seen Tamoxifen found in nature?  Perhaps you think people shouldn't be getting those treatments either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. Those people need to be adopting if they want kids. Actually I don't think anyone should get those treatments, it's unnatural.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I don't think they should not be allowed, but I do not think that they should be allowed to get any type of state or federal aid because they knew going into it that they were going to be the sole supporter.

Septimus
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I think EVERYONE, gay, straight, single, co habitating, married, etc should have to take an eligibility test and apply to become parents. It's not about our desire to be parents, it's about how the kids are going to fare and too many people just don't put any thought into it! At least if you took the time, money and effort for artificial insemination you obviously thought about it and have the funds.

(Yes, I can admit my application would have been denied due to lack of preparedness)

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 4:20 AM

So, it is better to bring a child into a f'd up emotionally abusive, terrible home than raise a child alone?  Sorry, but my little guy shouldn't have to go through a living hell just to have a father figure in his life.  He has lots of male interaction from other male family members.  He has an uncle that he adores and who adores him.  His uncle teaches him "boy" stuff and other than that we do what we do on our own.  I don't agree that you need two parents, unless the parents are in a HAPPY relationship.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

You're putting all sorts of words in my mouth here. I never called you selfish, and I never said there was anything wrong with using IVF to prevent another child being born with your daughter's disorder. Without the medical advances in fertility treatments, I wouldn't have 2 of my nephews. I have nothing against IVF, clomid, sperm donors, egg donors, surrogates, or any other fertility treatment out there. However, it is, by definition, UNNATURAL You are not allowing nature to take it's course. You're getting offended for no reason whatsoever.

Quoting Mommy4two:

The reason for IVF is would not be to take something away from the embroy but within 24 hours of the conception faze in the petre "sp" dish we would know if the child would be born with or without the disorder... While I love my daughter I'm not looking to have another baby with her problems, and no my reasons are not all selfish I watch what she has to endure on a daily bases and don't feel as though that's right to do to another baby. I however don't feel like it's fair for me to never be able to have MY OWN children either if I'm able to...

Quoting briansmommy2010:

By definition, that is unnatural. Unnatural doesn't necessarily mean wrong, but you are messing with nature. You are manipulating a pregnancy to have desired results. If your child would NATURALLY have a 50/50 chance of a genetic disorder, then doing IVF to prevent that is unnatural.

I don't see why that's hard to understand.

Quoting Mommy4two:

and what is so "unnatural" about it??? I can get pregnant just fine, yet if I want another baby who doesn't have the gentic disorder my daughter has I would have to do IVF bc doing it the good old fashion way would give us a 50/50 chance....

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. Those people need to be adopting if they want kids. Actually I don't think anyone should get those treatments, it's unnatural.

Armygirl2299703
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

No.

I don't think it's anyones business who gets these treatments. If they can properly care for the child then it shouldn't matter what thier lifestyle is.

mom2lilangels
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

We have 7 year old twin daughters by the IVF procedure! When we went to fill out all the paperwork to get the process started, we had to show our marriage certificate, proff of income and bank statements!  The dr we went thru would not allow single women to go thru their office. This is a very large drs office out of Little Rock, AR!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It happens in Italy because of the Pope's influence  and sadly we have to put up with all the religious crap and his BS.

As for France, don't know what's up with that.

Yes I live in Italy and no, I think it's stupid and US should not do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. Save fertility treatments for married hetero couples with real fertility issues. There's nothing unnatural about doing fertility treatments.

Save it?  Why?  Are fertility treatments in short supply and only married hetero couples deserve them?  Any woman has a right to a child of her own if that's what she desires without government intervention. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)