Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my 6yr old isn't allowed to wake me up on sundays.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am a single parent. And I have one day where I have a sleep in, usually around 10am I get up.
My dd get up at around 7am. She turns on netflix, or videogames, pours herself juice and makes herself toast with cinnamon sugar. She washes up, dresses herself in whatever zany outfit she desires. And yes, we go out with that outfit later.
I see no problem with this, and in fact believe it makes me a better mother. I don't have family or fathers help at all. Its just me and dd. So this is the only "recharge break" I get. And we're both better for it.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (171-176):
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine are 16, 13, 10, and 8....DH wakes them up for school and then each is expected to make their own breakfast. On weekends that includes lunch as well and the older two are required to cook dinner for the ENTIRE family once per week and NO boxed meals, they actually cook. I see nothign wrong with what you are doing. It is our job as parents to raise future capable adults who will be able to navigate in the world. My 8 year old just learned to make eggs in the microwave and she is so proud of herself!

On weekends the kids like their parent-free time. They like getting to play video games, watch cartoons that I hate, or work on an art project without mom or dad "in the way." We ar epretty strict parents as far as during the week, the kids have activities and homework and they like their freedom on the weekends.

LeahBrown
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Alright I have been on CafeMom for about a week now. This is the the FIRST time I have seen someone RESPECTFULLY share their OPPOSITE opinion of what the poster, posted. Because of this I see most of you are posting anonymously probably for fear of judgement. Thank you MrsSamMerlotte (love the sn btw) for being kind instead of the alternative option... a Bitch. ~Leah Brown~

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

I think its good for her to be able to do those things, and there is nothing wrong with sleeping in, but three hours seems like a long time to play video games and watch tv alone. I would personally say an hour, two tops, but thats pushing it. But to each their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzmommax4
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:51 AM
You ate entitled to at least one day a week. It's not like you are leaving her there by herself. We sleep in on the weekends too, and our kids get up and get POP tarts and juice and aRch cartoons until we get up. I think for parents who have kids that know how to behave, this is a good thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickcola
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LANIE2002
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Im the same way. The microwave and toaster are my best friends lol. My children are 8 & 9. I just started to show them how to use the oven & to boil eggs. Nxt is the blender cause they love smoothies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

on your day off you should be making her breakfast. Your DD will ONLY be a kid once, if she was older then that would be a different story, not saying you are a bad mom, jusy lazy..I'm a SAHM so I do have a job 24/7...I get up at 5am everyday to fix them lunch and breakfast and on weekends do a better breakfast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)