Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My bad mom confession for the weekend........

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter (11yo) tried out Friday for the middle school cheer squad and didn't make it. I honestly think I was more upset about it then she was, not because I wanted her to make it but because I hate seeing her upset. She is an AMAZING girl, smart, beautiful and all around good kid. This was her first time not getting what she wanted, she is an over achiever and is harder on herself then I could ever be.

Saturday morning I decided to cheer her up and have a girls day, I picked up her grandma and the three of us hit the mall. My daughter got a coach purse, coach wallet and a new pair of Sperry's. 

I know that isn't the right message to send to her, that spending money will make everything better but honestly it is how we deal with stuff in our family. I can remember having a bad day and my parents would take me shopping or pick me up from school with a present waiting in the car for me.

Honestly she is a great kid and has already achieved so much for her age and I hated seeing her upset, she had a great day and loves her new stuff and that makes me happy.

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
DEEANNALAMB81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I am sorry I shouldn't be snarky with you, I am just a little annoyed that certain people are trying to judge my character off the fact that I like nice things and give my children nice things.

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

I am sorry, would it make you mad too if I said she has had an iphone since she was 10 and recently upgrated to the newest iphone.

Quoting Anonymous:

Holy Hell I am an adult and I dont even have a coach purse.

bellanoelsmom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
How about getting her a private trainer or coach if cheerleading is important to her. With good training she will be better than most of the girls by tryouts next year. My 13 year old dd gets coached one on one by an ex pro softball player. She is trying to play in college and is amazing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
braezmommy89
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I dont see anything wrong with what you did/do... sounds like your daughter deserves it and I think as long as you instill good morals and values and she doesnt expect it, then whats the harm???

Your not a bad mom!!!

My parents did this with me, we couldnt afford couch and etc growing up but they did other things for me, i never expected it, cause it wasnt everytime but i sure did appreciate it and as an adult im not greedy nor do i just expect things...

I took dd to the mall and bought her some clothes and shoes after her last set of shots.... shes 17 months!!! Lmao it was just a fun mommy daughter thing:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Me, either, but if I had that kind of disposable income I probably would.  I have other things worth lots of money that many people might judge as silly or a waste of money.  To each their own.  

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

I am sorry, would it make you mad too if I said she has had an iphone since she was 10 and recently upgrated to the newest iphone.

Quoting Anonymous:

bellanoelsmom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I also love spoiling my three girls but the 13 year old especially. Seeing her happy is better than anything. I spend over $100 on my daughters hair 4x a year. She loves it so I do too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Yeah that is crazy they have to compete that young!  I remeber being in middle school and everyone got to be a cheerleader that signed up!  

Quoting SadiasMomma:

i can't believe they don't let everyone participate in middle school. that's crazy! you did good though, every girl should have a shopping day with Mom

DEEANNALAMB81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

She is in cheer and tumbling classes and was getting private lessons before try outs, she just wasn't ready or confident enough to do the back handsprings at try outs. She did her cartwheels and roundoffs and that just wasn't enough to make the team when the other girls were doing their back handsprings. She has already started planning on taking more classes (2x a week) so she can be ready for next years try outs, she hasn't given up. She is hard worker and knows hard work will help her get where she wants to be.

That is great your daughter is already thinking about college and what she wants to do, I wish more parents would start talking to their kids about college sooner. Good Luck to both of you!

Quoting bellanoelsmom:

How about getting her a private trainer or coach if cheerleading is important to her. With good training she will be better than most of the girls by tryouts next year. My 13 year old dd gets coached one on one by an ex pro softball player. She is trying to play in college and is amazing!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't let anyone get to you. Sounds like your dd is on the right track! So yes she deserves the best. It shows her if she continues doing good that when she gets older and does good at work she can buy her own fancy things too. Good job momma. I gave my 7 year old my old coach bag and she adored it, it doesnt go on the floor ever. I actually think she is more ocd about it than me lol.

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

I am sorry I shouldn't be snarky with you, I am just a little annoyed that certain people are trying to judge my character off the fact that I like nice things and give my children nice things.

Quoting DEEANNALAMB81:

Quoting Anonymous:

LuvMi2Bugz
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Awww thats so sweet mama you go girl :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Wow moms, good luck with those spoiled kids in a few years.....hahahah. (that's me laughing at you)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)