Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is wrong with her?!?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So lately my 5 yr old has been complaining of stomachaches & the urge to throw up. When it first starred like 3 wks ago I thought it might be a bug but now she's complaining about feeling sad & feeling like she did something bad (guilt). She also mentioned she feels nervous & has been having trouble sleeping. She is very timid & shy. She usually would prefer to play by herself or with a friend or two than playing with a group. She worries me because it's ben going on for a while. :( I'm wondering if it's depression & if kids that young can get depression & why or how it happens? If anyone has any advice or experience please share.thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Replies (11-13):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:28 AM
I had extreme fear and anxiety at school up until middle school. It got slightly better in fourth and fifth grade though. But second and third grade were terrible for me. My mom took me to the doctor about it and he said I had a "nervous stomach". I guess that's what they called anxiety back then (mid 80s) since they didn't quite have a name for everything back then. But it also had a lot to do with my school environment. My third grade teacher was an absolute nightmare. No matter what I did, I was always in trouble for something. It was like she wanted me to get in trouble and would set me up for failure. It was so bad that I threw up almost every morning before school because I knew I'd get in trouble and shamed in front of the class. I couldn't even exist in that classroom that year without her punishing me for breathing.
I'd investigate her surroundings and what's going on when you're not there because what you described sounds just like how I felt.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I thought it might be something at school, but she loves going to school! She never wants to miss & well anxiety/depression runs in our family so it could be inherited. I took her to the dr today & he gave me a list of psychologists & I made an appt already. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I had extreme fear and anxiety at school up until middle school. It got slightly better in fourth and fifth grade though. But second and third grade were terrible for me. My mom took me to the doctor about it and he said I had a "nervous stomach". I guess that's what they called anxiety back then (mid 80s) since they didn't quite have a name for everything back then. But it also had a lot to do with my school environment. My third grade teacher was an absolute nightmare. No matter what I did, I was always in trouble for something. It was like she wanted me to get in trouble and would set me up for failure. It was so bad that I threw up almost every morning before school because I knew I'd get in trouble and shamed in front of the class. I couldn't even exist in that classroom that year without her punishing me for breathing.
I'd investigate her surroundings and what's going on when you're not there because what you described sounds just like how I felt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)