Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O It's ok to abort if the mother was raped

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 123 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: It's ok to abort if the mother was raped.

Options:

yes

no

other (explain)

It's always ok to abort

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 203

View Results

I hear this often, many agree and some don't. What's your thoughts on this?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeahJ
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM
8 moms liked this
I think that would be a horrendous situation to be in and the woman deserves support, not people forcing their opinions on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
13 moms liked this

It's ok to abort for any reason the woman chooses. Abortion is legal in America.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I say yes because no one should have to carry a child that came from rape or incests. Other than this and medical reasons I don't think abortions should be legal.

Billysmommy
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM
I think its ok ... I could understand how it could be hard for someone to have a part of that person for ever!!! I've never been in the situation thank god
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gapeach0513
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I personally couldn't imagine getting an abortion under any circumstances, including rape, but I can see how someone would make that decision.  The rape itself would be terribly traumatic and then, to be constantly reminded by the pregnancy and eventual child...so, I understand it, although it wouldn't be the right decision for me.

little.knickers
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM
It's nobody else's business what someone decides to do with their pregnancy.

Rape is horrendous and whatever path the woman decides to take will be a difficult one, last thing someone needs is to be judged by someone.

In 2005 I gave birth to twin girls, conceived after being raped. I was fifteen years old. I wanted an abortion, but found out I was pregnant quite late, missed two appointments and just couldn't do it. Wasn't for me, but I've no right to condemn another person's choice like that.

I don't regret my decision. But it's bloody hard. I love my girls incredibly, but I always wonder where my life would've taken me had I not became a mum so young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My sisters friend was in this situation.  My sister and I are close so I heard it all.  My sisters friend is very religious so aborting was not an option.  She had the babies.  Yes, twins and put them up for adoption.  It was very hard, but she got through it with my sisters help. 

I personally feel it's ok.  I'm no fan of abortion, but this is just that special circumstance

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM
5 moms liked this
I think a woman has the right to terminate a pregnancy regardless of how she got pregnant.
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I support a woman's choice to abort for any reason.

For those against aborting a pregnancy brought on by rape, here is a little something you prob didn't know:

Rapists often plea out to lesser charges to avoid trial and either spend very little time in prison, or no time at all.  If a woman continues a pregnancy, this man now has rights to the child born.  Even from prison, he can establish rights.  She will still have to get his permission for adoption and if she parents, she can (and often does) get legally forced to interact with her attacker frequently via visitation orders or custody orders.

She will be revictimized over and over again.

little.knickers
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM
This is true. My rapist was able to have (supervised) contact with the girls until he stopped it. It was hell dropping the girls off....they made it do I wouldn't see him, but it's still awful. His mother was terrible too....calling their school to get our address, turning up...we moved up north to try and start over but she found us.

Their 'father' committed suicide and we were able to get a retraining order against Angela. My husband adopted the girls last year. He has been there for us since I got pregnant. They know he's not their real dad, but call him dad. They know their dad was nasty to me, but that we love them very very very much.

Now have no contact with anyone from that family and it is lovely. We are able to be our own family without being harassed, insulted, abused or threatened. I dont have to listen to his mother say "everyone makes mistakes, you should forgive him"

It's so complicated. And so difficult. I could never go through it again. I idolise my girls but if I was to be in that situation again, I couldn't do it again.

Quoting randi1978:

I support a woman's choice to abort for any reason.

For those against aborting a pregnancy brought on by rape, here is a little something you prob didn't know:

Rapists often plea out to lesser charges to avoid trial and either spend very little time in prison, or no time at all.  If a woman continues a pregnancy, this man now has rights to the child born.  Even from prison, he can establish rights.  She will still have to get his permission for adoption and if she parents, she can (and often does) get legally forced to interact with her attacker frequently via visitation orders or custody orders.

She will be revictimized over and over again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)