Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Want to see a day in the life of someone on PA?

Posted by   + Show Post

For everyone who wishes they could just 'live nicely off the government' because its such an 'easy' life. 

When times were tough a while back I got just enough FS for my family if we shopped and Sams with a family members card and got the cheapest staples available. I am talking rice or noodles and beans EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The only meat we ate was chicken because there is a chicken plant where I live and once a month they sold 40lb boxes for $10. We still paid $350 a month in government housing (which is the average rent price in my town anyways), got no help with utilites and the only ones that had medical care were my daughters. When we got sick we were fucked. Employer did not offer health care. In my state the ONLY cash aid available was is you made $3000 a YEAR or under! The same income limit  went for medicaid too. And we only brought in $1100 a month. 

$1100- 350=750

750-350 for ALL utilites=400

400-100 for gasoline for the month, (gas hog of a vehicle)=300

300- 100 for household items and diapers/wipes=200

200-100 (to supplement the food we needed later on in the month)=100

100-50 (car insurance)= 50

50-30 (prepaid cell phone we NEEDED since we had no house phone)=$20

$20. Thats it. Is that how you REALLY want to live?!?!?! We were lucky we didnt have a car payment! God forbid if our car had broken down or needed a tire. I pity your 'difficult' life where you can have everything paid on time and live comfortably, oh how difficult that must be! All ya'll must realize its not all rainbows and cupcakes and dancing in the street with our EBT cards. No. It is pure hell. and MOST of the people I know on PA (I know dozens! my town was very hard hit) are in the same predicament that we were in! Didn't abuse, lie, cheat or steal from the govt. They were grateful!

(we are no longer on any assistance, at all. thank god. it was there when we needed it and we needed it for almost 2 years. we used to have 5 industries in our town and were now down to 1, dh got a job at that 1 and we are now living on our own, and there is a tidy emergency sum saved because we NEVER want to be in that posistion again)

Yes I changed the title to make it more interesting :)

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Or attention lovers. Many I know are trying to impress their friends, or trying to cover up how bad things really are :/

Quoting Tinabee88:

Anyone who has lived the life knows it sucks and the only ones bragging about collecting welfare are usually mentally ill.

shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:09 AM

That would have been us if we had a car payment :( It will get better I promise! How long it takes until that happens no one knows but it will!

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband brings home about 1100 a month, i have been trying to get a job but no where is hiring.
1100-700 for rent. We have one of the cheapest places in cali.
400- 270 for car payment. We have tried to refinance but because our income is low, we dont qualify-go figures.
130- 150 for insurance
Leaves us negative! That doesnt include utilities which is about 100 a month, phone bill, gas for the car. It makes me sick to have to max outt our credit card. :(

shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:14 AM

I honestly can say stay on the FS until you are well settled into your new place, that way if ANYTHING comes up at least you'll KNOW you have food money. Our PA office sucks, and they make you send in things 3 or 4 times before they acknowledge it, make you jump through hoops, schedule appts and never send you a letter until after the date passed, then you gotta jump through MORE hoops to keep it. It does suck, but it does get better :) 

Even though they are varying degrees of hard when it comes to PA i think most ppl agree that it sucks and they want out, to be working and making enough to make ends meet w/o govt help

Quoting andiecheyenne:

We've had FS almost a year.. DF's new job took it down to $100, but that goes to DD more than us. We live with his parents, they are helping us get our finances straight. We are only a few months away from moving out, and when we do I want off FS. We needed it before I got pregnant and the first few weeks DD was here.. now it just helps. I'm starting to make food for DD instead of using WIC. We have wiggle room to save (finally).. I hate PA. I love IRS there, but I hate having to use it.

OP I'm sorry you were in that situation! Mine isn't nearly as bad, and some days I feel like it's the end of the world!

monkeybelle83
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
In my experience, those who judge people on pa have never been in the position to need it. It's so much easier to judge people when you've never been there. Those are the type of people I wish would fall on hard times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IDidYourMom8709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:20 AM
I have honestly only danced on the street with my ebt card one time- it was 2 weeks after ds was born, he refused to breastfeed, I had no money and nothing to sell, and I hadn't seen my dang card in a month. I cleaned out a bag from the hospital, and boom! There it is. I started crying I was so happy, then called for the balance and it was waaaaaay more than I thought. Went and got a ton of formula and dinner for me :)

I'm still on fs- I was bringing home about 500/month and df bringing home about 1000/month. He pays rent (615) and I pay utilities. Now I'm laid off and praying. Ugh :-/ thankfully I am in school and get a stipend check every few weeks, which I use to pay up the utilities 2 months in advance. We have a cushion still, or I would be stressin....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Oh yeah, thats different, thats dancing in relief, not showing off kwim? Good luck!! I remember one time we lost our card and went for a month without food (almost) surviving on WIC and Food banks n the little we could get with $20, then whent he fs card came in it was double what we thought we would get because it had accumulated the month we didnt have the card and the current month and we were good on groceries for a while

Quoting IDidYourMom8709:

I have honestly only danced on the street with my ebt card one time- it was 2 weeks after ds was born, he refused to breastfeed, I had no money and nothing to sell, and I hadn't seen my dang card in a month. I cleaned out a bag from the hospital, and boom! There it is. I started crying I was so happy, then called for the balance and it was waaaaaay more than I thought. Went and got a ton of formula and dinner for me :)

I'm still on fs- I was bringing home about 500/month and df bringing home about 1000/month. He pays rent (615) and I pay utilities. Now I'm laid off and praying. Ugh :-/ thankfully I am in school and get a stipend check every few weeks, which I use to pay up the utilities 2 months in advance. We have a cushion still, or I would be stressin....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:00 AM
1 mom liked this

If we are going to have an honest exchange of ideas here I'm going to say mine very bluntly.

I'm sorry, but all I hear are excuses here. 

We all make choices in life. You chose to have children, you chose to stay in an area that your DH couldn't find a job, you chose not to save money before you hit a rough patch.  I don't have a problem with the fact that you needed PA.  I have a problem with the fact that people always have a million excuses of why they are entitled to it.  Well I just can't doesn't cut it in my book.  My dad left the military and work 2 jobs to support us.  One as a boiler operator and one as a pizza delivery man while my mom babysat other people's kids.  I didn't even know what it was like to not have other kids in my house because she did it so often.  You do what you have to do. 

I was a single mom, active duty and in school at the same time and worked out an arrangement with friend to watch my son 2 nights a week and then I would watch hers.  I chose to divorce his dad, I chose to terminate his rights and waive child support.  I chose an education when it wasn't going to be easy.

If you are as broke as you say you are you don't need loans like a previous poster said.  Get a government Pell grant and make something of yourself.  

I don't allow my son to say I can't. 

Tinabee88
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:03 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with you. They feed the welfare stereotype.

Quoting shortycmlb:

Or attention lovers. Many I know are trying to impress their friends, or trying to cover up how bad things really are :/

Quoting Tinabee88:

Anyone who has lived the life knows it sucks and the only ones bragging about collecting welfare are usually mentally ill.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup. Before we got FS we had $30 a week for groceries after all our bills, and gas. Luckily DH got a new job making a lot more, and now we don't need FS. We even have a car payment now lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM
1 mom liked this
What kind of utilities do you have that you spend 350 a month on them in government housing? I know gov housing often comes with free heat and hot water and sometimes even electric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)