Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have You Ever Been In An Earthquake?

Posted by   + Show Post

There's been much talk in Utah about our over-due earthquake of a 7.1 (or so), and it's scaring me. I can't help but fear for my family's life.
If you have been in one, what did it feel like?
How fast did it happen?
Would there be any time to run into my child's room and get him to safety? (He's 9 months, so I can't teach him about earthquake safety)
I'm going to buy water and food supply and other things in case it happens.
Also, how safe would it be if I lived in a trailer? Any experiance in that?
I've Googled all day and nothing seems to ease my mind and make me confident I can keep myself and family safe.
I need real experiances from you mama's.
Thank you in advance... 

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
Della03
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I live in Western Ky and we had one April 18, 2008. It was a 5.4 at the epicenter a little up north from here but it was the first one I experienced and I was 3 months pregnant and scared as hell. My dh left for Phoenix the next day and we had after shocks for up to a week later.

We are long over due for our BIG one since we live along the New Madrid fault.

OkieMom2673
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM
We have them in central Oklahoma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz_orange
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

BUMP

Shortiekt
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I was in Richmond at the time (40 miles from the epicentre). The entire brick building swayed like a jenga tower. A coworker of mine, from CALI, was used to earthquakes and stated she'd never felt one that lasted so long.

Our building evacuated and I went to my car... Phone lines were clogged due to everyone calling everyone else on the entire freaking east coast b/c they dubbed it the DC earthquake LOL. The schools and homeowners closer to Mineral still have aftershocks and suffered a great deal of damage. 

Quoting Elyce225:

I was in the one that just happened in Mineral Va.  I am 20 miles from the epicentre.   It felt like my floors were moving like a fun houses floors.  I was 7 months pregnant, I grabbed my 2 and 3 year old and threw them over my shoulders.  I also grabbed my puppy and held her under my arms and ran outside.  She was barking a good two minutes before it happened too, she knew something was up.  A bunch of glass on our walls fell and broke.

After it was done and over with I ran into the bathroom and threw up, I didn't realize how nervous I was until after I knew we were all safe.

DawnPratt23
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I will be going outside because our house 98% will collaspe. I also found out from a friend stationed here in Utah, the houses on base aren't earthquake ready. She's from Cali, agreed safest place will be outside.

It's just a matter of time now :( I saw emergency response teams at Walmart instructing what to get. It's overdue for another big one here. The state isn't taking it likely.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

I see several people saying that they go outside or advising the OP to go outside. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE. If you are already outdoors, obviously there is nothing you can do. But the safest place is indoors, in a doorway or under a sturdy table. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE if its not necessary.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz_orange
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Where in Utah are you located?
I'm from Layton 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I will be going outside because our house 98% will collaspe. I also found out from a friend stationed here in Utah, the houses on base aren't earthquake ready. She's from Cali, agreed safest place will be outside.

It's just a matter of time now :( I saw emergency response teams at Walmart instructing what to get. It's overdue for another big one here. The state isn't taking it likely.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

I see several people saying that they go outside or advising the OP to go outside. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE. If you are already outdoors, obviously there is nothing you can do. But the safest place is indoors, in a doorway or under a sturdy table. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE if its not necessary.

..Kandy.Korn..
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I live in Northern Cali...grew up in Southern Cali...I've been in lots. We had a 4.1 today as a matter of fact. 5.3 about two months ago. Last big one was a 6.5 in January 2010. I was in the Northridge quake in 94...that was like a 7.0, I think. The problem we have here is tsunamis, so if we get a big one...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Not sure if you've visited the state site, has all sorts of information needed, including how to make your own kits.
http://beready.utah.gov/beready/index.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:33 PM
I'm in ogden, up by 5 points
Our house was built in 2001, there's a 6 foot tall crawl space under that the first owners wanted to finish as a cellar.

Quoting mz_orange:

Where in Utah are you located?
I'm from Layton 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing you need to watch for mostly is falling power lines.  If you live in an area that has above ground power lines, outside is the WORST place to be.  I grew up in CA (our elementary school was ON a fault).  I went through the Loma Prieta quake in 89 (7.2).

In general, falling objects are the worst thing - mirrors, tv's, things like that.  Some sway, some shake, some twist.  I'm assuming your trailer is one story, so really, it wouldn't be too bad to stay inside - just stay in doorways, or under sturdy tables.  Best thing is to stay put til it's over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN