Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have You Ever Been In An Earthquake?

Posted by   + Show Post

There's been much talk in Utah about our over-due earthquake of a 7.1 (or so), and it's scaring me. I can't help but fear for my family's life.
If you have been in one, what did it feel like?
How fast did it happen?
Would there be any time to run into my child's room and get him to safety? (He's 9 months, so I can't teach him about earthquake safety)
I'm going to buy water and food supply and other things in case it happens.
Also, how safe would it be if I lived in a trailer? Any experiance in that?
I've Googled all day and nothing seems to ease my mind and make me confident I can keep myself and family safe.
I need real experiances from you mama's.
Thank you in advance... 

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
LectioDivina
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I was in a 6.8 or something along those lines in the 90's in southern california...
I didn't actually find it that scary. We shook for a while and sat on the driveway in lawn chairs.....

Then cleaned up for 2 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandabo
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I live in slo county in cali. In dec of 03' i believe, we had the biggest one i have ever seen, the ground was moving like waves in the ocean the buildings were swaying back and forth and we lost two people that day. I ran outside with my son and it was the scariest moment of my life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Ive been in many too small to make me stop watching tv...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I grew up on so cal so we use to earthquakes. I went thru the huge 1994 northride earthquake. earthquakes are def scary. especially since you never know when they are coming. most earthquakes are pretty small tho and there just a little bit of shaking. so they really no big deal until you get hit w/ a big 1.

cLanief
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM
yup.. I live in wa but I haven't felt a bigish one in almost 10 years. Most earthquakes barely last long enough to run to the nearest door frame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting nurbabe82:

Not quite a year ago we experienced the after shock of an earthquake that started in DC I believe. It was the strangest thing. We didn't know what the hell was going on lol especially since earthquakes aren't a common thing for the east coast. 

It was in Mineral VA.  The after shocks were just as bad.

Kchellejones330
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Yes, once. I didn't know it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjfamily
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM
I experienced my first in August . It was crazy because im in Delaware. I Thought I was seeing things because I never would expect a earthquake here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluv2meow
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

OH CHIT!

Quoting _mimimosley_:

most recent was in san diego easter 2010. i was in the shark tank at sea world when it happened. it was a 6.4

Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Ive lived in California my entire life (almost 28 years). I have experienced many many earthquakes. Most last less than a minute. They are really not that scary unless they are the super big ones (more than like 6.0) You just stand in the doorway, they are the sturdiest places in the house. Do not go outside. Its always good to have an emergency kit, especially because the power is likely to go out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN