Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this true?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
Okay. I'll come out and say it. My mom is racist. Growing up I wasn't allowed to even look at people of a different race. My cousin had a Hispanic boyfriend and my mom made me quit talking to her till they broke up.

In high school I got my license and my car. I started listening to hip hop and decided Lil Wayne Is the hottest man on earth (still believe that). My Mom took my car until I promised I'd only listen to Christian music.

Then I met my dh. My mom loved him. 6 months later I found out he had a mixed little brother. I never told my mom. She finally found out when I had my first son. She didn't say anything about it.

Two year ago we got his little brother through a safety plan. My mom has
Now grown to love him like her own grand child. They spoil him to death. She has really changed since we got him.

Last night I was telling her that he has his first girl friend. She said "aww how cute! Is she black?" I said "no. She's white. Why?" she told me that I need to talk to her parents asap and let them know that he's half black bc her parents might now allow that.

People are still like that? I don't want to have to talk to the parents about that. It's not like he's raped a girl before or he's not a virgin. That I could understand; having to call the parents and tell them that I walked in on my 9 year old on top of a little girl. He's a really good kid. He really likes her. Do I really need to call the parents and let them know?

I'm only anon bc I don't want y'all to think differently of me knowing how I was raised.

Okay. Aparently I wasn't clear. He's never even had a girl over. I was just saying if that HAD happened (me walking in on him and another girl) I could understand telling the parents.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not your fault you were raised that way. No, you don't need to call. That's not even a concern! Your mother's racism is her own issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not your fault you were raised that way. No, you don't need to call. That's not even a concern! Your mother's racism is her own issue.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Hes 9 with a gf?  Id expect U to tell me and it would be over, not because I dont want my girls dating a black boy but because they are 9.  I also would not like my girls to be with a boy not being raised by a parent.  Unless there is a good, non dysfunctional reason- like infant adoption or the death of bio parents I just dont want my girls tangled up in that.  

Billysmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I honestly wouldn't expect a parent to call me and explain their race!!! I think they can find out on their own. I actually think I would pass a judgement on the little boy if that happened ...trying to figure out why you found important !! So no I wouldn't say anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Do you live in the south?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
The majority of my family is like that and I hate it. If I had married someone of a different race then they would have disowned me. I am not like that and I'm not raising my kids like that. My DH used to be like that but only cause he believed the same crap I was taught. But I changed his mind. It was a very happy day when he finally agreed with me.

And no, you don't need to call the parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
You're welcome. I'm sorry you have had to put up with such ignorance. I hope your mother sees things differently one day.....it's never too late to learn tolerance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Oh, joy. The typical asinine response from you.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Hes 9 with a gf?  Id expect U to tell me and it would be over, not because I dont want my girls dating a black boy but because they are 9.  I also would not like my girls to be with a boy not being raised by a parent.  Unless there is a good, non dysfunctional reason- like infant adoption or the death of bio parents I just dont want my girls tangled up in that.  

fairyjester
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Question.. if the girlfriend   was indeed black would she expect you to call the parents and tell them the kid is half white?

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree.
Would she want you to call the parents if the little girl was black? The parents might like to know he's white.
Or is it just wrong for whites to date other races?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)