Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share Your Green Tips!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 374 Replies

Let’s motivate each other to make environmentally friendly choices!

Share some things you see in everyday life that waste energy and resources. Then tell us your "Green" tips!

Reply with one tip at a time.  The more times you reply, the more times you enter to win a Cafemom tote bag!

happy earthday

Contest rules:

• The Cafe contest starts 4/19/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 4/30/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Contest Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Contest Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to each receive a Cafemom Tote Bag.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 4/30/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

Post ANONYMOUSLY on Mom Confessions!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rogue35
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Recycle pop cans
craftymommylady
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

ok so here is my tip and money saver

tv's,computer ,cable boxes, dvd players,ect..... they can draw power even if turned off...... so i put all of these thing on a power strip and turn off power at  the strip  every night we save at least 80. dallors a year.

Cschmura
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Use baking soda and vinager to clean. Less chemicals down the drain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cschmura
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Using a dishwasher uses less water than hand washing dishes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3superkids
by Lisa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I use white vinegar to clean practically everything. Just fill half a spray bottle with white vinegar add water and then whatever essential oils you like. I clean every part of the bathroom with this recipe. It saves a lot of money is environmentally friendly and much safer for yourself and your children to breath than the toxic cleaners.

momof3superkids
by Lisa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Our community has curbside recycling every other week. I made it a goal to have more on the curb for recycling than we put out during those 2 weeks for our garbage pick up. The only week we had more trash the last two years has been right after christmas.

momof3superkids
by Lisa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I made homemade cloth diapers for my daughter before she was born. I saved a lot of money on disposables and saved even more making the covers and the diapers myself. We use environmentally friendly disposables when we are not at home for a long stretch of time or visiting family. Adding up the cost of the fabrics I needed and only buying them when they were on sale was still less expensive than buying premade. We also saved much more on water usage because I had so many diapers made ahead of time I could go a week before having to wash and then it was a full load Much more environmentally friendly and it uses less water than washing a small load would have.

momof3superkids
by Lisa on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Recently our very old used washing machine broke down on us and the repair would have cost almost as much as buying a new washer. We found a washer that weighs the clothes before washing and uses less water than our old one did. I have already seen a difference in our monthly water bill when looking at usage. I can wash a much bigger load than before when I need to or even a very small load and know I am not being wasteful. Our old washer was taken by the appliance company for recycling we were told that the company takes then apart and seperates the different components for recycling.

lovin_life85
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

CURIOUS! What type of oils would you use and where would I get them? I have never heard of this but am very interested in trying it!

Quoting momof3superkids:

I use white vinegar to clean practically everything. Just fill half a spray bottle with white vinegar add water and then whatever essential oils you like. I clean every part of the bathroom with this recipe. It saves a lot of money is environmentally friendly and much safer for yourself and your children to breath than the toxic cleaners.

Barabell
by ~~CC~~ on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM

recycle when possible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured