Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Let’s motivate each other to make environmentally friendly choices!

Share some things you see in everyday life that waste energy and resources. Then tell us your "Green" tips!

Reply with one tip at a time.  The more times you reply, the more times you enter to win a Cafemom tote bag!

happy earthday

Contest rules:

• The Cafe contest starts 4/19/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 4/30/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Contest Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Contest Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to each receive a Cafemom Tote Bag.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 4/30/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

Post ANONYMOUSLY on Mom Confessions!

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
manda4
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I make my own laundry detergent and re-use the containers. one batch costing about $2 to make lasted our fam 9 months. (7 people) we re-used our old laundry soap containers and got some from people we knew. and we use viniger for a softener.

we also cloth diaper our baby that is 1 yr old now. and

I make my own cleaners out of vinegar water and some essential oils for smell. we re-used our old cleaner spray bottles. along with that we use cloths instead of paper towel to clean.

make our own bath brownsugar scrub, and somtimes just starting to make our own shampoos and conditioners. along with using essential oil tea tree oil and a tsp of dish soap for a bubble bath. so no containers to trash.

we also make our own bug spray with lemongrass oils. it helps to reduce chemicals on the skin and in the air.

just started to wash my dog in tea and mint leaves, this is amazing in helping dogs with itching allergys, and leaves her hair looking nice and shinny. this helps save on the bottle waste. and after rub some lemongrass essential oil on her to prevent fleas.

buying used also helps the enviroment, less waste.

we donate anything we don't use to people in need instead of throwing away perfectly good stuff that we no longer have a use for.

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Re-use any type of glass jar. You can store dry goods, household items, spices, anything. Just make sure to clean throughly.

Recycle old magazines by donating them to hospitals, old folks homes, dr offices.

Use cloth bags when you shop. If you don't then recycle the old used bags- Walmart AND Target both accept them

Recycle cans, not just soda ones either, you can recycle food ones as well. Recycle glass, and plastic bottles and containers. If you don't have a local recyling center, check out your local stores like Target. They have the Recycle recepticles at the front.

Turn off electronics you aren't using. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.

Use rechargable batteries

Donate used toys, clothes, household items to Salvation Army, Goodwill, or your church. There is no reason to toss it if it can still be used.

Re-use cardboard boxes for just about anything. Storage, little bins, trash "cans"

Grow your own food, even if you don't have a yard, container gardening is not that hard and you will get food if you take care of the plant right.

Use anytype of water filtration system, you will save money and the planet by not using water bottles.

Judgemental people need to take their misery someplace else.

I refuse to conform, I refuse to take crap from others, I am a sassy, smart, honest, fabulous and sexy Texas Mama.

Save The Planet- Go Green!

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Is the laundry soap you make liquid or powder? I would love to know how to make it.

Quoting manda4:

I make my own laundry detergent and re-use the containers. one batch costing about $2 to make lasted our fam 9 months. (7 people) we re-used our old laundry soap containers and got some from people we knew.

we also cloth diaper our baby that is 1 yr old now. and

I make my own cleaners out of vinegar water and some oils for smell. we re-used our old cleaner spray bottles. along with that we use cloths instead of paper towel to clean.

with a family of 7 we had to find ways to make cuts and these were not only great for us but for our earth.

Judgemental people need to take their misery someplace else.

I refuse to conform, I refuse to take crap from others, I am a sassy, smart, honest, fabulous and sexy Texas Mama.

Save The Planet- Go Green!

manda4
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

it's liquid we have a front loader and I guess we couldn't use the powder. I got the recipe off 19 kids and counting and even w/out any oils it smells so freash and clean. it makes about 10 gal so I concentrated mine then just added water for the gal I was on at the time so I had less bottles. they have a powder one on there web sight too.

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Well danm. I should have done mine in multiple entries! LOL

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM
I don't use tp, I use cloth :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Turn off water while brushing your teeth

Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Keep A/C units up as high as you can tolerate so they kick on less

Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Recycle

achorney
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Use a razor scraper (paint scraper) to remove soap scum out of the shower and off the bathroom walls rather than use chemicals. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN