Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Antibiotics for Strep - Yes or No? ETA - Yes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

I just got home from the doctor's office where I was diagnosed with strep.  Yuck.  My son was with me for the visit (he is 9) and the doctor went ahead and did a quick test on him and he came up positive for strep as well. We were given two prescriptions for antibiotics.  I called my mom in Germany (she is a nurse) and she said that they never prescribe antibiotics for regular strep, especially if someone is asymptomatic as in the case of my son.  My DD is 14 and DS is 9 and neither has ever been on antibiotics for anything.  Should I wait to see if symptoms develop in my son before giving him the meds?  Should I wait to see if I get worse before taking meds?  I asked the doctor if we really needed them and he looked at me like I had a third eye and said "of course":(

Yup, we are both now on antibiotics as I don't want to risk the complications.  Thank you all for the advice.  I am not anti-meds but I know that sometimes things are done differently here than where I am from and I know that doctors here routinely prescribe more potent medications where in Germany they would often times prescribe herbals so I wanted to make sure and get some "local" advice.  On-line information i looked at was a little wishy washy on the necessity of antibiotics for strep but from the anecdotal evidence presented on CM I am sold:)

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaK313
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I had strep twice last year and the doctor prescribed antibiotics both times and it went away. Read up on what happens if strep throat is left untreated...

kidkrazyinAK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Strep can be very serious if left untreated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Yes. Of course. * looking at you like you have a third eye*
nokesmomof2
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

my oldest dd has hard strep twice since she started the school year and i gave her the antibiotic both time because she had a high fever and very cranky

safi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
YES

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
This. Take the antibiotics.

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
incognito116
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it's a bacteria it needs an antibiotic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

BINGO. I am not a huge fan of drugs and antibiotics when not needed but Strep needs it.

Quoting kidkrazyinAK:

KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I would not mess with Strep. My daughter does not always show symptoms but if she comes up postive I go ahead and treat her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)