Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not spelling lazy *vent*

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

I understand that spelling and grammar is a big thing to some people. But do you think that maybe some of us that spell bad and have grammar isn't not because we are lazy but because we have a hard time with spelling and grammar? I have ADHD and dyslexia. Grammar is very hard for me to get all my life. English was my hardest subject in school. I took me 3 time longer to write a paragraph then other people. I had to rewritten a rough daft like 10 time before it look like a rough daft. I do not get the rules or anything. I feel like it all goes over my head. I do not know why its so hard for me.

With spelling I can't hear the different sound when you break down a word. It all sound like a big mess of things. I wish I was better at it. It makes to no sense to sound out a word. The only way I and break down words is by other words or stuff like pre, ant, are or something like that and its not because of the sound its because of how it looks went written.

Now I was made A's and B's in school. I can read really good to myself. Even if I can't say the word. I could kinda of tell what that word means for the way it was use in the sentence. I love to read. I was reading books from when I could read. I have my High School degree. But because of my issues with spelling and grammar. I did really bad in collage.

Anyway, I know it a big deal to some people. But I think you could try to treat me like a person because I do try my best. I don't do it because I am lazy. Spell checks most of the time works. But what if I'm trying to spell a word and its not giving me that word that I am looking for? Or I'm not sure which is the right spelling for the word I'm looking for and it comes out all wrong?

I was picked on for these all though school. It was hard. I never give up. But do you know what its like to work on this stuff and know your getting it wrong but not understand why your getting it wrong? Why it took someone 5 mins to right 5 sentence when it took me 20 mins? The teacher would have the tell the other kids not to laugh at me when I had to read out loud really slow? Now I am scared of how I am going to handle school work with my kids?

ok I guess my vent is over.

(When writing this I had lots of mistakes. I hope I got them all. I did see that I wrote "right" for "write". I do that a lot too.)

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Hugs! Don't let people bother you, it's just the Internet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Most people with terrible spelling/grammar just don't care. It makes a post hard - sometimes impossible - to read. If somebody cares so little that they can't even bother to hit the spellcheck button, I see no reason why I should care enough to read (much less respond to) their post.

I can understand legitimate problems; it's the people that say "I don't care! Get over it!" that annoy me.

ETA: By the way, it's pretty obvious you aren't just being lazy. "I had to rewritten" vs rewrite is an easy sign that you struggle with words, not a result of laziness.

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I think whats gets me is this is something I really fight with this. It really don't seem that big of a deal till you deal with it. I try to be understand to everyone one here even if I dont agree or understand them. I just wish for the say respect. I would love for someone to tell me idea how to do better with this.

Quoting twinmommy27:

Hugs! Don't let people bother you, it's just the Internet.

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Thanks, I do understand people don't use the spell check. I use it every time. I am some not sure if I spell everything right still. I wish I know how to help myself with this problem. I can't even go to collage because of this. It moves to fast me to keep up with note or writing. I even tried a voice recorder to try to take note later on. But if I'm not sure how to spell what they are saying how can I know what I'm really looking for to study? Something so small can be a big deal. Thanks for being understanding.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Most people with terrible spelling/grammar just don't care. It makes a post hard - sometimes impossible - to read. If somebody cares so little that they can't even bother to hit the spellcheck button, I see no reason why I should care enough to read (much less respond to) their post.

I can understand legitimate problems; it's the people that say "I don't care! Get over it!" that annoy me.

ETA: By the way, it's pretty obvious you aren't just being lazy. "I had to rewritten" vs rewrite is an easy sign that you struggle with words, not a result of laziness.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

There might be services available, accomodations that can be made for the dyslexia. I don't know about ADHD; I think they usually just throw medication at that. I have a very strong grasp of spelling and grammar rules, but only because I spent so much time reading as a child it became ingrained. I believe there are voice-to-text computer programs available that might assist with note-taking. Perhaps this website would be of help to you: http://www.dyslexia-college.com/

Quoting imamom88:

Thanks, I do understand people don't use the spell check. I use it every time. I am some not sure if I spell everything right still. I wish I know how to help myself with this problem. I can't even go to collage because of this. It moves to fast me to keep up with note or writing. I even tried a voice recorder to try to take note later on. But if I'm not sure how to spell what they are saying how can I know what I'm really looking for to study? Something so small can be a big deal. Thanks for being understanding.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Thanks so much! I will check it out.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

There might be services available, accomodations that can be made for the dyslexia. I don't know about ADHD; I think they usually just throw medication at that. I have a very strong grasp of spelling and grammar rules, but only because I spent so much time reading as a child it became ingrained. I believe there are voice-to-text computer programs available that might assist with note-taking. Perhaps this website would be of help to you: http://www.dyslexia-college.com/

Quoting imamom88:

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Ireallydontcare
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM

You are understandable. You have an issue or issues. However, it is very apparent when someone is just low-rent and doesn't care. You make an effort.

Crunchy Ideas

imamom88
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Thanks. I do my best with what I do understand.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

You are understandable. You have an issue or issues. However, it is very apparent when someone is just low-rent and doesn't care. You make an effort.

kittenmom001
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! I'm ADD and it screws up my head I've always had trouble in english I'm good at writing just not the details of it lol
SerenityMom420
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I'm sorry :(  I've always done well in English and grammar, but math is my weak point.  My brain freezes so I understand the frustration.  I still get comments from people when it takes me awhile to do long division or multiplication in my head.  The calculator is my best friend.

I, too, had a hard time with my kids when it came to helping them with some of their homework.  I would ask family members to help.   Don't worry, Momma!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)