Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM, unemployment about to run out...please don't bash

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
I'm a SAHM to DS1. I have been on unemployment for 1 year because I didn't disclose I was pregnant on the interview but when they found out they let me go after 2 months with some bogus excuse. I am a certified medical assistant. Hubby makes about 60,000 a year but pays a LOT of child support to 2 different BMs so his paycheck is not really enough. My unemployment is going to run out soon. We don't have relatives who can watch our kids for free and if we put DS in daycare it will cost almost as much as I'll be making in a week. I am trying to find part time nights but there is NOTHING in my field for those hours. What would you do if you were me? Please be nice
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela_Barlow
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Could you do something at home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Babysitting?

jonellg
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd get a job. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM
I would like to but really what could I do from home that would provide good steady income?

Quoting Angela_Barlow:

Angela_Barlow
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Child care?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would like to but really what could I do from home that would provide good steady income?

Quoting Angela_Barlow:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlmostFamous
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Is there anything you're good at? Art, photography, crafts? I know a lot of SAHMs who make a living doing things like that from home, including me. I'm a photographer. My cousin makes bows and tutus and sells them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

you knew eventually the unemployment would run out.  don't you have to be actively seeking employment to stay on unemployment or is that a thing of the past?  You really should have been trying to find a solution before now.

bcauseimthemom
by imjenndoe on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Look for a night job in another field.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree maybe looking to see if anyone in your area needs some help with childcare. Im going to do that in june when my current gig is up. I babysit for a dear friend, untill school is out. And start right now, by REALLY conserving. Cut out all non-essentials, and start spending more wisely. I dont need to, but i even will wash zip-loc bags, straws, wipe down foil, all to reuse. I reuse everything i can, and have gotten good at making our money for food go farther. My husband thinks im crazy, he asks why the hell id wash a straw, we can buy more. I tell him because if i save us $10 in our lifetime on straws, thats $10 i can buy a bottle of wine with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Depends. When My hubby got laid off in the winter he was not required to report that he was seeking employment. May because he would get pick it up for work again in the spring.  Construction thing maybe? IDK.

Quoting Moki75:

you knew eventually the unemployment would run out.  don't you have to be actively seeking employment to stay on unemployment or is that a thing of the past?  You really should have been trying to find a solution before

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)