Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I tell my son?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My ds is 5 and in school he's been learning to write his first an last name. Well he asked me what daddy's last name was and his sisters and then he asked what mommys last name was. Well since my bf (who's the kids BD) all have his last name and I have my last name. Obviously we're not married so I have a different last name then my kids. So what should I tell him? I don't want him to feel differently because he doesn't have the same last name as mommy and I don't think he would understand just yet.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lynnd4
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Just tell him the truth and let him know it doesn't change how you feel about him or your partner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Just be honest. Every family is different, and it doesn't change how you or his dad feel about him and you are still a family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I would explain that you & daddy aint married yet(but you do love eachother n always will) and maybe one day you all will share the same last name:-)
alexsmomma06
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

When my oldest DD asked I told her the truth. Mommy and Daddy aren't married, so mommy's name is different-it only changes when we get married. She said "oh, OK: and moved on. If you make it a big deal, so will he.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Its not strange at all.  Just tell the truth. 

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM

um, the truth....

CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM
The truth....why would you tell him anything but the truth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spicy_n_sweet
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Tell him the truth.  Tell him you have a different last name because you aren't married to his father. Simple as that. 

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Just tell him the truth..it probably won't be a big deal to him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My son just turned 6 and he knows that I have a different last name than he does. He hasn't really asked me why or anything tho. His father and I are commonlaw married but I haven't changed my name. My son is really close to my parents tho and he knows that I have the same last name as them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)