Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apparently I suck as a friend! (rant)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

I don't know how many of you feel the same as I do, but sometimes you just get sooooo tired of hearing people bitch and moan about how unfortunate their lives are...especially when they post about it six times in an hour on Facebook!

I have a handful of close friends that we can vent back and forth and keep each other motivated, but we have awesome conversations that don't always include our problems, and it's never one sided.  However, I've got those friends who always want to complain about how they need money, their children are suffering, no one wants to date them, they've got this issue and that issue...and if I try to be a good friend and perk them up, they just want to shoot down every bit of advice because they just "can't"!  -_-

I mean, I have my own issues and my own obstacles that I'm trying to overcome in my life, and I feel horrible when I sometimes want to just tell people to shut the hell up, get a job if they're broke, stop looking for guys if they keep finding douche bags, and quit getting all up in people's business when they're dragged into drama.  But at this point, I'm just SICK of hearing about it.  My best friend tells me I can't save the world and when people stop looking at me like I'm their mom that needs to fix all of their problems, then I'll be less stressed and much happier.

I feel like the mama bird wanting to kick these baby birds OUTTA the nest!  -_-

Sorry...just needed to let that out before I accidentally hurt a good friend's feelings...  :|

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I'm in the same boat. I love my friends but boy can they be whiners. I feel like a bad friend for not being able to discuss certain topics anymore but I just can't. One friend is up financial shit creek and blows every cent she recieved then bitches about being poor (she's a 4x a day starbucks addict) and is so concerned with material items she wants to take her ex to court for buying her kids dressers from target. To avoid ruining the friendship and starting a war I just ignore those topics.
safi
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Im a good listener ^_^ lol so people tell me all sorts of private shit. I enjoy it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelyladybump
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh. My. I was just about to post something similar. Lol I have a really close friend like this and Ive been avoiding her lately because im afraid with the hormonal roller-coaster I've been riding lately that im going to say something really harsh to her. I feel your pain :( hopefully they realize it's okay to vent, but nobody wants to hear it allllll the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOVEiink
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Haha, people tell me EVERYTHING!  I never repeat it and never spread it around, which I think is why people continue to dump it all in my lap.  And I'm sure I could tell them I really don't want to get involved, but I feel like as their friend, I should at least lend them my shoulder to cry on.  Sometimes I just don't even know what to say to respond...especially when I am receiving texts and FB messages saying "Text me" and it's about more guy trouble or more money issues...

skylaelise12
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I have a friend exactly like that... her life is just sooo hard like she is the only one going through anything. We went from hanging out to a few times a week to every other week and I feel bad because I always make excuses to not see her. Just take a breath and be the friend she need though you may not want to. Just rant on here when you feel like snapping!! 

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I have a friend just like that! She posted so much one day that I commented on her status "Are you ever happy?" It got about 10 likes. I love my friend and all, but she causes ALL her problems and then acts victim!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOVEiink
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

What makes things even worse is one incident where a friend of mine was going through a legitimately hard time with her husband leaving her for one of our mutual friends and the friend and her husband were all over FB about how happy they were now.  So she tried to get with a guy friend of ours who is in a relationship, and the girlfriend shut her down through an e-mail.  I felt bad, but honestly, she shouldn't have been so forward with a guy who was dating someone.  Then she's all over the place with "I'm so ugly, no one loves me" and "I can't do it anymore, I'm taking myself out of this world".  I worried about her, but I knew she was just looking for people to drop everything and come to her aid...I felt like I was stuck!

whitneyeliza08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

my sis in law is like that...always posting how much her life sucks or how "no one is there for her." it gets really old. I laso have a friend who, everytime I talk to her, its something negative. I've bee avoiding her lately, because I really don't want to hear her bitch and moan. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I hate needy friends.. I mean that with no disrespect either.. Im there for my few select friends regardless of how I feel about the situation at hand. However a couple are really really needy. It gets old when you cant even talk about any subject other then their lives.

*edit  disclaimer... Marie if you read this I do NOT mean you!!! If you think about it you will know who Im talking about!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

gapeach0513
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Those people don't want to be helped.  My aunt is like that.  She'll complain about how bad things are until the cows come home, but if you try to offer a solution, she's full of excuses.  Just let it go and try to limit your exposure to their negativity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)