Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At the beginning of February I weighed 212 (I'm 5'9). I started going to the gym 6 days a week for about an hour and a half each day. I changed my diet completely. For breakfast I eat either a Fiber One bar or some oats and fiber cereal, for snack I eat a piece of fruit, for lunch I eat a spinach salad with sliced carrots and cucumbers with balsamic vinegar dressing or a can of Healthy Choice soup, for snack after that I eat another piece of fruit, for dinner I make either chicken, fish or turkey with the side of a vegetable. The only things I've had to drink since February are water (90% of my day), 1% milk and the very occasional lemonade. I am now down to 200 pounds even, so a 12 pound weight loss in 2 months. I also measured my inches in February and I just measured again to see where I'm at. I've lost a total of 9 1/2 inches total in my arms, legs, chest and hips. Here's the problem...I haven't lost even a 1/4 inch in my stomach...NONE. Now that everything else is smaller it looks ridiculous. I seriously look like I'm about 5 months pregnant. I don't know how to get rid of my belly!! I need tips. I do an hour of cardio every day and about 60 crunches. What else can I do to get rid of this ugly belly fat??

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Really? I guess I'm kinda clueless about carbs. I thought they were from bread, rice, potatoes, etc...which I try to keep out of my diet. The soups I get are just vegetable soups. What should I cut out? I'm willing to try anything.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

You are taking in too many carbs. If you want to reduce belly fat, the low carb diet is the way to go because it reduces the bloat faster than any other diet. Do you lose mostly water? Yes. Will it take away the belly bloat and make you look thinner? Yes.

I don't advocate Atkins, I believe more in balance and exercise, but for belly fat and bloat specifically, nothing works like a no carb or low carb regimen.

spearme
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Kettlebell is so fun and easy and you can do it at home. You need to engage your whole core in order to lose the belly. Kettlebell can do that. It's a weight that you do different exercises with. I bought mine at Marshals for 15 bucks and it came with a dvd. I have been doing basic exercises and have seen awesome results. Machines at the gym do not let you engage your body naturally so it takes longer to see the results you want. Also try the paleo diet. It's the only diet I believe in. Great job on losing weight. It seems you have the drive, I think you might just need a little more direction on how to work your core. I can post my workout routine that I do at home. It's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Carbs are in fruit (basically, anything sweet).  Carbs are in your cereal and granola bars.

Try something like a scrambled egg with salsa for breakfast (make your own salsa, many processed ones have high fructose corn syrup).  Mid-morning, either veggies or protein.  Lunch, salad is good, but carrots have carbs in them too - cucumbers are good, as are bell peppers, tomatos, and so on.  Mid-afternoon - something like a hard boiled egg (protein again).  Your dinner sounds good.

I would strongly suggest South Beach - get the book, plus the cookbook - they have great recipes in there, plus extensive lists of what you should and shouldn't eat.  And it is very healthy (unlike Atkins).  Was developed for diabetics to prevent heart disease, weight loss came as a bonus.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Awesome!! I will look into getting a kettlebell. Yeah, if you would post your workout routine I'll give it a try. Thank you!!

Quoting spearme:

Kettlebell is so fun and easy and you can do it at home. You need to engage your whole core in order to lose the belly. Kettlebell can do that. It's a weight that you do different exercises with. I bought mine at Marshals for 15 bucks and it came with a dvd. I have been doing basic exercises and have seen awesome results. Machines at the gym do not let you engage your body naturally so it takes longer to see the results you want. Also try the paleo diet. It's the only diet I believe in. Great job on losing weight. It seems you have the drive, I think you might just need a little more direction on how to work your core. I can post my workout routine that I do at home. It's awesome!

ReadWriteLuv
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
The fiber one bar and/or cereal and fruit are sabotaging your efforts. Try replacing them with eggs and bacon. Watch your milk as well, the lactose (milk sugar) will sabotage you as well. You can google the low carb diets and find the best one for you. I like South Beach because it's more flexible, but almost all of the low carb plans put you through a 10-14 day cleanse period that is VERY strict. It works, it produces amazing results, but it's not easy and there is no wiggle room. Good luck to you!

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Really? I guess I'm kinda clueless about carbs. I thought they were from bread, rice, potatoes, etc...which I try to keep out of my diet. The soups I get are just vegetable soups. What should I cut out? I'm willing to try anything.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

You are taking in too many carbs. If you want to reduce belly fat, the low carb diet is the way to go because it reduces the bloat faster than any other diet. Do you lose mostly water? Yes. Will it take away the belly bloat and make you look thinner? Yes.

I don't advocate Atkins, I believe more in balance and exercise, but for belly fat and bloat specifically, nothing works like a no carb or low carb regimen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gracieb3
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Weight is likely to leave your abdomen last. Therefore you need to keep losing to see it leave there. As for belly fat you can speed it up by doing sit ups and pull ups. Expect the pooch to puff more as when you build muscle it will push your fat up more but then the muscle burns more calories than fat so it will burn away faster. Try changing your gym routine too. If you stick to the same consistency of things your weight loss will plateau.  Congrats on getting healthy. You sound like you are doing great. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Wow!! Here I was thinking I was doing good by eating fruit. I haven't looked at any specific diet (South Beach, Atkins, etc). I just took tips from The Biggest Loser. It probably sounds silly, but I figured they must know what they're talking about with so many people losing weight on the show. Thanks for the ideas!! I will try different veggies in my salad (no more carrots) and I'll see about buying the South Beach cook book.

Quoting Anonymous:

Carbs are in fruit (basically, anything sweet).  Carbs are in your cereal and granola bars.

Try something like a scrambled egg with salsa for breakfast (make your own salsa, many processed ones have high fructose corn syrup).  Mid-morning, either veggies or protein.  Lunch, salad is good, but carrots have carbs in them too - cucumbers are good, as are bell peppers, tomatos, and so on.  Mid-afternoon - something like a hard boiled egg (protein again).  Your dinner sounds good.

I would strongly suggest South Beach - get the book, plus the cookbook - they have great recipes in there, plus extensive lists of what you should and shouldn't eat.  And it is very healthy (unlike Atkins).  Was developed for diabetics to prevent heart disease, weight loss came as a bonus.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Thank you!!!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

The fiber one bar and/or cereal and fruit are sabotaging your efforts. Try replacing them with eggs and bacon. Watch your milk as well, the lactose (milk sugar) will sabotage you as well. You can google the low carb diets and find the best one for you. I like South Beach because it's more flexible, but almost all of the low carb plans put you through a 10-14 day cleanse period that is VERY strict. It works, it produces amazing results, but it's not easy and there is no wiggle room. Good luck to you!

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you :-)

Quoting gracieb3:

Weight is likely to leave your abdomen last. Therefore you need to keep losing to see it leave there. As for belly fat you can speed it up by doing sit ups and pull ups. Expect the pooch to puff more as when you build muscle it will push your fat up more but then the muscle burns more calories than fat so it will burn away faster. Try changing your gym routine too. If you stick to the same consistency of things your weight loss will plateau.  Congrats on getting healthy. You sound like you are doing great. 

DEEANNALAMB81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You are doing awesome, I wish I had your motivation. I have just started working out again this week, it has been almost a year and half since I have been in the gym :(

About two summers ago I was going strong and had finally got my body where I wanted. I like you had the belly issues, I've had three c-sections and I thought there was no help me. I had done great on loosing the weight I just needed to tone up my mid-section (that is where I hold all my weight) I finally found something that word WONDERS for me, it was pilates!!

It worked SO many muscles I didn't even know I had, it was AMAZING!! The first week was bad, I was doing two classes a week. But I stuck with it, mainly because there were some older ladies in their that were putting me to shame. It really worked I can't tell you how happy I was with the results.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured