Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I HATE YOU FOR LIVING FRUGAL!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I dont understand why moms on here are so angry that other moms can buy groceries for less..shouldnt you be asking for tips and not knocking them?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I think it is great they can. I just don't care enough about saving money on groceries at this point in my life and don't need to. We did it while dh was in school though. No need to bash someone, I admire them for doing it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I am not that poster, but I use a menu.  It is the only way to save money!

Quoting KedrynsMommie:

How??? I could definitely use tips lol

Do you use a menu? What about snacks/extras?

Quoting Anonymous:

Right!!!!

I don't use coupons or foodstamps and to feed my family of 4 I spent $30 for a week, and that was breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I hadn't seen any frugal mom posts but I'd welcome them with tips sought. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You can easily make your own compost (we do and we live in the city) you can also collect rainwater if its not illegal in your state and use that to water!  Even if you dont make your own compost, then you should still save a TON of money regardless.

Quoting kjfamily:

Yeah but how much did his gun cost and the bullets? Not everyone lives in the country with access to chickens and hunting. Having a garden costs money for water and soil.

Quoting littleacorn:

I like good food and it is dirt cheap: I grow most of it! My husband hunts and I have a relative with chickens that gives me eggs and a share of the meat for helping to harvest them. About the only things we BUY are grains (mostly whole grains) and dairy! I can easily feed my family of 6 an AMAZING diet of awesome, wholesome food for less than $200 a month!

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Not jealous at all.  I like good food and it's expensive.  I also have an adversion to freezing meat and I have a diabetic husband.  I don't think that my grocery bill is above the national average though.

Quoting littleacorn:

Jealousy maybe?

stephanie647
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM
I put up a post simply asking how to stretch chicken, since we got sick of soup but I didn't just want to throw the bones away. (Yea, I'm that cheap)
I got some GREAT ideas, and from 1 or 2 people I got bashed for not gardening my own vegetable and hunting my own meat (keep in mind I live downtown toronto)
I was told I was silly and stupid for trying to stretch chicken, when children cost no money to raise, if I were to really try.

Quoting CadesMum:

Wtf. What could possibly be stupid about buying chicken?

Quoting stephanie647:

Because some of those moms act superior.

I have been called stupid for buying chicken.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM
There are some of us who buy cheap but cant have processed foods. Frozen dinners and boxed meals (canned meals too) have hidden milk in them. My first child and sis are allergic to milk. We also have a shellfish allergy and some preservative intolerances. I still can make my budget every month.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

Ehh people will be mad at anything. The biggest problem with eating really cheap is its usually mostly junk food and processed stuff. Whatever though,It isnt buy bussiness to be all up in anyones fridge or pantry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I plan everything in advance. I stick strictly to my list and I know what the price of just about everything is in advance and I'm on Google looking up cheap recipe ideas all the time :) dinner tonight for all of us cost me $5, we had chicken breast, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

Quoting acrogodess:

well shit. Give me the secret oh wise one. I wanna know how and what? So I can do the same lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Right!!!!

I don't use coupons or foodstamps and to feed my family of 4 I spent $30 for a week, and that was breakfast, lunch and dinner.
littleacorn
Which is why I thought jealousy might be a factor.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

And you are very lucky to have those options, but for those that do not, eating well is expensive.  Have you priced those items at the grocery lately?  It's not hard at all for me to spend $200 a week feeding my family of 4.

Quoting littleacorn:

I like good food and it is dirt cheap: I grow most of it! My husband hunts and I have a relative with chickens that gives me eggs and a share of the meat for helping to harvest them. About the only things we BUY are grains (mostly whole grains) and dairy! I can easily feed my family of 6 an AMAZING diet of awesome, wholesome food for less than $200 a month!

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Not jealous at all.  I like good food and it's expensive.  I also have an adversion to freezing meat and I have a diabetic husband.  I don't think that my grocery bill is above the national average though.

Quoting littleacorn:

Jealousy maybe?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvCoopins
1 mom liked this
Same here :)

Quoting littleacorn:

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Quoting littleacorn:

Jealousy maybe?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmcandmmh
by Michelle on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I havent run into that on here but I'd love tips on how to spend less on groceries and how to make the best of what we buy and have things not spoil. I hate throwing food away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN