Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you get offended by the term...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

"Ghetto?"  Do you think it is geared at a certain minority group and it could be offensive or do you think it can be used to describe any group of people that behave in a trashy way?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
caidensmommy625
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Down here its referred to as the "hood" and trust me there are just as many black people as white people. Just like other races. Im white and actually just moved out of the ghetto, yay! Lol. No it doesnt offend me personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USCmomax4
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
No.. because I am not ghetto.. and it is not geared to any group.. it is more about how you carry yourself, in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM
After I learned the TRUE definition of the word many years ago, I wasn't offended. Well, I guess I was never really by it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM
This. The ghetto or hood is a place. It doesn't describe a person. And that's why there's no reason took take offense to the word.

Quoting caidensmommy625:

Down here its referred to as the "hood" and trust me there are just as many black people as white people. Just like other races. Im white and actually just moved out of the ghetto, yay! Lol. No it doesnt offend me personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Well first off, I think ghetto and trashy are two different things, but yes I think the term is universal and doesn't necessarily belong to one race.

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
It does not offend me, it is what it is. Granted, I am aware and observant of politicial sensitivities in others, therefore it is not in my everyday use ariund others.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Everybody here seems to get offended by everything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never been exposed to the "ghetto".  I have drove through poor areas that I would refer to as the ghetto though.  I think ghetto is a lifestyle.  Obviously, the word does not offend me.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I used to live in the ghetto, it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the way you act.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with race. I got called ghetto , by someone who was and still is very ghetto and white. He called me that because I was a pregnant teen. Yeah I was offended. I also heard the word in reference to my booty. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)