Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

babies dont want vegan mommies

Posted by   + Show Post

The vegan lifestyle isn't mainstream yet, but it's surely on its way thanks to the whole food movement inspired by the likes of "Forks Over Knives" and "Food Inc." Trendy vegan cookbooks, blogs and personalities continue to multiply as we all get "vegucated," as do the vegan options served at restaurants. I don't remember the last time I was in a restaurant that didn't serve kale or some sort of braised greens. Then again, this is L.A.

But is pushing veganism onto children taking things too far? Ruby Roth's children’s book, "Vegan is Love," which comes out April 24, has already ruffled some feathers. The colorful book is meant to serve as an introduction to, as the author puts it, "veganism as a lifestyle of compassion and action."

Critics say that the book oversimplifies things. "While a vegan diet can be nutritious if properly planned," reports ABC News’ Mikaela Conley, "parents may have trouble getting children to eat the proper amounts of all the necessary food groups when kids can be finicky with food already."

Of the backlash, Roth says, "[Veganism is the] embodiment of the philosophies our country was founded on: independence, rugged individualism and self-reliance."

OK, sure, but that doesn't address the concern over nutrition.

"If early humans had been vegans, we might all still be living in caves," Swedish researchers suggested in an article Thursday. Booster Shot’s Thomas H. Maugh II continues: "When a mother eats meat, her breast-fed child's brain grows faster and she is able to wean the child at an earlier age, allowing her to have more children faster. That provided a distinct competitive advantage for early humans when limited resources and a small population made it difficult for them to thrive."

That was then, this is now, right? Not quite.

"Nature created humans as omnivores. We have the physical equipment for omnivory, from teeth to guts. We have extraordinary needs for nutrients not found in plants. They include fully formed vitamins A and D, vitamin B12, and the long-chain fatty acids found in fish,” explains Nina Planck, author of "The Farmer's Market Cookbook," on the New York Times' Room For Debate. She continues: "For babies and children, whose nutritional needs are extraordinary, the risks are definite and scary. The breast milk of vegetarian and vegan mothers is dramatically lower in a critical brain fat, DHA, than the milk of an omnivorous mother and contains less usable vitamin B6. Carnitine, a vital amino acid found in meat and breast milk, is nicknamed 'vitamin Bb' because babies need so much of it." And she concludes: "You may choose to be a vegan. Your baby doesn't have that luxury. Let her grow up omnivorous and healthy. Then watch her exercise her own freedom of choice with justifiable pride

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Why? Because I choose not parent other people's children?

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I agree with it when they turn picky and they all do to a point. So I can see how that could really mess with a child's vitamins.

But I don't care if your child is lacking in vitamins or if they're underweight. Just like I don't care if you feed your child Cheetos and mountain dew and they're lacking in vitamins and are overweight. Other peoples children ( not counting abuse) are not my concern.

That's sad. :(

bECAUSE YOU CHOOSE NOT TO CARE FOR PEOPLE AROUND YOU.  bECAUSE IT MEANS YOU LACK COMPASSION IF YOU CAN LOOK AT A CHILD OR (oops, sorry for caps) their parents and not care that they are unhealthy and will lead difficult lives because of it.

safi
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Wow good point. Arent humans technically animals? The only vegan i know does ebf

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

I thought vegans didn't bf..I thought they use soy formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM
. Maybe care wasn't the best choice of word. I have compassion for them I just refuse to co parent with people I don't know. Everywhere you go you're being hit with what's healthy and what's not Again Im not here to raise other peoples children. They know exactly what they're doing to their kids.

To think otherwise is ignorant. I do have the time to stop every single person and say hey guess what you're doing wrong? I'll give you 3 guess.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I agree with it when they turn picky and they all do to a point. So I can see how that could really mess with a child's vitamins.

But I don't care if your child is lacking in vitamins or if they're underweight. Just like I don't care if you feed your child Cheetos and mountain dew and they're lacking in vitamins and are overweight. Other peoples children ( not counting abuse) are not my concern.

bECAUSE YOU CHOOSE NOT TO CARE FOR PEOPLE AROUND YOU.  bECAUSE IT MEANS YOU LACK COMPASSION IF YOU CAN LOOK AT A CHILD OR (oops, sorry for caps) their parents and not care that they are unhealthy and will lead difficult lives because of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Quoting cherrywaves21:

. Maybe care wasn't the best choice of word. I have compassion for them I just refuse to co parent with people I don't know. Everywhere you go you're being hit with what's healthy and what's not Again Im not here to raise other peoples children. They know exactly what they're doing to their kids.

To think otherwise is ignorant. I do have the time to stop every single person and say hey guess what you're doing wrong? I'll give you 3 guess.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

*rolls eyes*

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Quoting safi:

Wow good point. Arent humans technically animals? The only vegan i know does ebf

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

Some vegans do bf, some don't.  Some who are idiots go as far as making their own ''formula'' and practically or literally starving their baby of nutrients. :(

cherrywaves21
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I really hate when I think I'm having an adult conversation and then BAM I realize I'm talking to teenager.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

*rolls eyes*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
safi
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I Had a friend do that. She wasnt vegan but she was (r-word) as fcuk and way too crunchy. She fed her son goat milk and something like poly vi sol. He was so, so tiny :(

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting safi:

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

Some vegans do bf, some don't.  Some who are idiots go as far as making their own ''formula'' and practically or literally starving their baby of nutrients. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM
I do not agree with raising vegan children, I think they should make that choice once they are older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
How the author of this article interpreted "fork over knife" and the movie "Food Inc." as promoting a vegan diet a huge stretch for me. How does eating less meat translate into being a vegan especially as the creator of "Food Inc." wrote a bestseller promoting an omnivore diet!

But beyond that, there are moms who care what they and their children eat. There are moms who don't. A good, healthy diet is best regardless of whether mom is omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan.

I think the end of this article should have had a note: "brought to you by the American cattle association"!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)