Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

babies dont want vegan mommies

Posted by   + Show Post

The vegan lifestyle isn't mainstream yet, but it's surely on its way thanks to the whole food movement inspired by the likes of "Forks Over Knives" and "Food Inc." Trendy vegan cookbooks, blogs and personalities continue to multiply as we all get "vegucated," as do the vegan options served at restaurants. I don't remember the last time I was in a restaurant that didn't serve kale or some sort of braised greens. Then again, this is L.A.

But is pushing veganism onto children taking things too far? Ruby Roth's children’s book, "Vegan is Love," which comes out April 24, has already ruffled some feathers. The colorful book is meant to serve as an introduction to, as the author puts it, "veganism as a lifestyle of compassion and action."

Critics say that the book oversimplifies things. "While a vegan diet can be nutritious if properly planned," reports ABC News’ Mikaela Conley, "parents may have trouble getting children to eat the proper amounts of all the necessary food groups when kids can be finicky with food already."

Of the backlash, Roth says, "[Veganism is the] embodiment of the philosophies our country was founded on: independence, rugged individualism and self-reliance."

OK, sure, but that doesn't address the concern over nutrition.

"If early humans had been vegans, we might all still be living in caves," Swedish researchers suggested in an article Thursday. Booster Shot’s Thomas H. Maugh II continues: "When a mother eats meat, her breast-fed child's brain grows faster and she is able to wean the child at an earlier age, allowing her to have more children faster. That provided a distinct competitive advantage for early humans when limited resources and a small population made it difficult for them to thrive."

That was then, this is now, right? Not quite.

"Nature created humans as omnivores. We have the physical equipment for omnivory, from teeth to guts. We have extraordinary needs for nutrients not found in plants. They include fully formed vitamins A and D, vitamin B12, and the long-chain fatty acids found in fish,” explains Nina Planck, author of "The Farmer's Market Cookbook," on the New York Times' Room For Debate. She continues: "For babies and children, whose nutritional needs are extraordinary, the risks are definite and scary. The breast milk of vegetarian and vegan mothers is dramatically lower in a critical brain fat, DHA, than the milk of an omnivorous mother and contains less usable vitamin B6. Carnitine, a vital amino acid found in meat and breast milk, is nicknamed 'vitamin Bb' because babies need so much of it." And she concludes: "You may choose to be a vegan. Your baby doesn't have that luxury. Let her grow up omnivorous and healthy. Then watch her exercise her own freedom of choice with justifiable pride

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Bump
bbkiwi
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm vegan, I plan to bf. but I won't raise my child on a vegan diet. I know how picky I was when I was a kid.
I just won't give him regular dairy. I will go the almond milk route. There's more calcium in that anyhow.

Also a soy based diet isn't healthy for anyone. You have to alternate your proteins.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Bump
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I'm vegan but I still make meat occasionally for my girls...they don't really like it though...we alternate proteins and they prefer quinoa, soy and nuts over meat...I can get them to eat fish...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This article is way off.  My kids have been vegan and vegetarian.  They love it.  My oldest is picky eater but he loves his vegetables.  The great thing about fruits and vegtables there are so many to choose from it is not hard to get a balanced diet.     My kids are very healthy and very tall for their age.  My 9 year old is as tall as most 10 and 11 year olds we know.  No matter what diet we choose for our family variety is the key to a healthy diet.  It is a myth that picky eaters can not have healthy variety of foods.  I don't fight with my boys to eat anything.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM
I have a friend who does that. She actually freaked out when the daycare accidently gave him cow's milk. He took 2 swallows of it before they realized and switched it out for the goat's milk she provided. I'd understand if he had an allergy or whatnot, but she gave him formula....made from cow's milk...for the first year of his life. He showed no allergy then, and had no problems from daycare mix up.

Quoting safi:

I Had a friend do that. She wasnt vegan but she was (r-word) as fcuk and way too crunchy. She fed her son goat milk and something like poly vi sol. He was so, so tiny :(

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting safi:

Wow good point. Arent humans technically animals? The only vegan i know does ebf

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

I thought vegans didn't bf..I thought they use soy formula

Some vegans do bf, some don't.  Some who are idiots go as far as making their own ''formula'' and practically or literally starving their baby of nutrients. :(

comf
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM
It's about consent. Since mothers consent to breast feeding its fine.

Quoting safi:

Wow good point. Arent humans technically animals? The only vegan i know does ebf

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

I thought vegans didn't bf..I thought they use soy formula

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM
My son doesn't really like animal products, the only thing he will willingly eat is Baconm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured