Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is a privilege, not a right.

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 163 Replies
11 moms liked this

There are many women on here who feel every family should have a SAHP. Many of these women are also militantly against PA. One user comes to mind, and since I can't call her out by name, I will simply say she considers herself an elitest.

My question is for those who think every mom should be a SAHM. If in order to be a SAHM, one has to use PA to get by, do you still think it's right?

I personally don't. I don't have any issues with PA. This time last year, I was using it myself. I also don't have any issues with being a SAHM, if that is your desire, and you can afford it. However, it shouldn't be the job of the government and tax payers to support YOUR family while you sit home with your kids.

I personally feel the welfare system needs to be reformed, in many ways. But one of the main things I think needs to change is the habit of enabling SAHMs, and making them feel it is their RIGHT to be home with their kids. I think if you go to apply for PA, and there is one working parent, and you still qualify, the other parent should be required to get at least a part time job. For those who say they wouldn't be able to afford childcare-that same office that gives you your foodstamps also provides childcare assistance.

I honestly feel that short of extenuating circumstances (a disabled parent, a special needs child, a deployed husband), there is no excuse to be a SAHM if you have to buy your groceries with your EBT card.

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jonellg
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don;t think using PA to be a SAHM is wise.

Meg48626
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Totally agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mare1180
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Im very happy I am able to be a sahm but if we had to go on welfare...no, I would get a job before I would ever resort to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM
8 moms liked this
Ugh!

Again.

Some more.

Another one.

Can we just keep it down to one, large, annoying, perament post??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I prefer to work.  

Being a SAHM just doesn't work for me.

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You didn't have to read it, or comment.

Quoting PortiaRose:

Ugh!

Again.

Some more.

Another one.

Can we just keep it down to one, large, annoying, perament post??

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Completely agree with you.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Same here. I love my son more than anything in the world, but I also love my career.

Quoting Anonymous:

I prefer to work.  

Being a SAHM just doesn't work for me.

rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I completely agree!! Well said :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this

If being a SAHM means you need PA, then don't be a SAHM, plain and simple. I work, DH works and we get by fairly easily, but if I stayed home with the kids and only DH worked, we would end up struggling. Unfortunately, todays economy has caused a lot of households where both parents have to work to pay the bills, have a house and provide for their children and there is nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion, any person who can sit around and say that every child needs a SAHM are the ones who haven't had to bust their ass 45 hours a week to provide for their children, they either get PA or have a DH with a really good job.... which is hard to come by these days.

Both my parents worked growing up and I was just fine. The vacations, presents and lessons that were paid for for me were nice, and both parents working allowed to the extra things in life and the food on my table.

Some women need to stop being elitest while posting on CM with their bon-bons and Oprah on the TV in the background.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)