Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know how Americans do it! *Edit - Walked away for half an hour and holy man.

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
  • 138 Replies
5 moms liked this

Paying for health care and such. In Canada, even without insurance medical bills are very minimal. You can go deliver your baby, get the pain meds, stay over night and pay $0. Surgery $0. Gun shot to the head $0. Other than dental, eye appointments, extended care and prescriptions we really don't pay much. I do not envy you guys having to shell out for everything and try and work that, on top of everything else, into a budget. And, if you have insurance from what I understand it is rather pricey. 

God bless Canada!

Edit

So, I walked away from the computer for a half hour to visit with my neighbour and I see you have all been very active on the post. Haven't had time to read anything yet, but I didn't mean to start a huge debate. I just have read lots of posts about paying for health care, the bills, the debt, etc. and I am sympathetic to your situation in the States. It must take some real effort, and cause some major stress on those who end up paying these debts. But, with all that, the bills in the States and the higher taxes in Canada, I am still glad to be in the Western world where have health care. There are many nations where people go with all kinds of sickness and disease without knowing and ultimately die at a younger age. I will take paying and life over nothing and death any day. 

Tiffany

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM
4 moms liked this

That's Capitalism for ya!

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Money has to come from some place

raegansmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM
I pay about $2500 out of pocket each year just for my diabetes meds. That dies not include our premiums we pay to have health insurance. It sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chuckydoodle
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

but how much do you pay each month in your taxes that go towards health care?, We pay 580 dollars a month for insurance for a family of 5. And then pretty much everything is covered after that. Small co-pays but timely service. 

SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Do you have room for three more?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I have so many unpaid medical bills, it's ridiculous. I wish things were the same here in America as they are in Canada. Right now, I can't imagine ever being free of that debt.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM
6 moms liked this
It's because in Canada everyone had a job and works for what they have. In America there's too many people living off "the fat of the land" if everyone paid their share we could very well do that. America has become way too lazy and the government allows it to happen!
tifbrown
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Oh wow! That is a huge expanse. I know that there is some to be paid out of pocket for perscriptions, but a lot of insurance covers most of it. 

Quoting raegansmom:

I pay about $2500 out of pocket each year just for my diabetes meds. That dies not include our premiums we pay to have health insurance. It sucks!

Tiffany

tifbrown
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I couldn't tell you exactly what it is, it isn't broken up and laid out for us like that. But, I am happy to pay the tax to walk out without a bill.

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

but how much do you pay each month in your taxes that go towards health care?, We pay 580 dollars a month for insurance for a family of 5. And then pretty much everything is covered after that. Small co-pays but timely service. 

Tiffany

tifbrown
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Sure! Come visit any time :D

Quoting SarahLizyB:

Do you have room for three more?

Tiffany

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN