Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

AFTER READING THE HOW OLD/PARTNERS QUESTION AND ANSWERS..I GOT A THOUGHT

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM
  • 123 Replies

Do you all realize that the people who started having sex OF THEIR OWN CHOICE... Before age 16 every one of them has ALOT of partners? 

Those that started later in life have a few.. single digets mostly.. 

So my thought is this.. 

Wouldn't that suggest that the younger a person begins sexual activity the more RISK they put themselves into?

I mean std's, Unplanned pregnancies. AND LOTS OF HEART BREAK'S..

Just as a beginner for the list of things that they put themselves into bad situations to receive things they DON'T WANT!

So I guess I have a question that follows that line of reason.. 

WHY NOT TEACH KIDS TO ABSTAIN? And wait for mr or mrs right?

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM
7 moms liked this

I will teach my kids to abstain, and reinforce that notion strongly. But I will also be open and answer all questions, and I will also inform them on how to have safe sex, and the use of birth control.

Abstinence is not the issue people have a problem with when it comes to sex ed. Its abstinence ONLY that is the problem.

Furthermore, no matter how hard we as parents try to instill good values into our kids, we have sex plastered everywhere these days, no wonder we have such an epidemic of children engaging in risky behavior.

themissheather
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand your logic, but I'm not sure it's right for everyone. I started having sex at 16 and have slept with quite a few people in the 14 years since then. I'm a very sexual person and have always enjoyed it. I did avoid unwanted pregnancy and STDs. For me, I waited for the right person to lose my virginity to and all bets were off after that. I guess the point of my ramble is that I worry that heavily teaching abstinence is naive and unrealistic in a culture over saturated in sex. I intend to teach my daughter confidence, personal strength, and self respect. Education is useless without the tools to utilize it. I agree, that we must teach our children good values. Not sure there's much a parent can do after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
You again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I lost my virginity at 13 and I've only had 4 partners so your thought is wrong
JavaLadybug
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I will teach my kids to abstain, and reinforce that notion strongly. But I will also be open and answer all questions, and I will also inform them on how to have safe sex, and the use of birth control.

Abstinence is not the issue people have a problem with when it comes to sex ed. Its abstinence ONLY that is the problem.

Furthermore, no matter how hard we as parents try to instill good values into our kids, we have sex plastered everywhere these days, no wonder we have such an epidemic of children engaging in risky behavior.

First off this post has nothing to do with ABSTINANCE ONLY..

I simply said why not teach that as a viable choice.

Most parent's I have seen on here just kind of assume their kids are going to have sex as a teen. Why not tell them you want them to wait until they are out of high school at minimum! 

I mean why not?

If they do have sex.. Ok well then you can deal with that. But why just let that be the going thought.. Why not set the bar higher?

AND AGAIN.. NO ONE SAID that people who think abstinance is a viable option don't teach what sex is or how to safely use protection etc. But I do see as how our nation has used SAFE SEX as a motto and it isn't really working.. Considering the pregnancies, abortion rates and std levels!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not sure where you are getting your stats. I waited until I was 21 to have sex but then had many sexual partners before I got married at age 33. I am not saying that multiple sexual partners was a good thing, more a product of the times - 80s and 90s. I think abstinence/waiting until you are married encourages women to marry young. I think it doesn't necessarily work if you are also trying to promote getting a degree, hopefully an advanced degree, and starting a career before getting married. I want my daughter to wait until she is emotionally ready for a sexual relationship and talk to her often about what that means. I think it would be counter-productive to tell her she should wait until she is married but yet encourage her to wait until she is financially independent before getting married.
JavaLadybug
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I lost my virginity at 13 and I've only had 4 partners so your thought is wrong

So you don't think there is an exception to every rule.. 

Just because it thankfully doesn't apply to you.. IT IS TOTALLY WRONG..Give it up!

angelbaby1977
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I do teach that but ultimately it's their choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I started having sex at 15. I am now in my thirties and have only had four partners in my whole sexual life. Plus , no STD'sor unplanned pregnancies. Naturally, I would want my children to wait until they were adults and capable of better reasoning, and decision making, however, this is not always realistic. I will suggest they wait, but also have an open door , no judgement policy so that they feel they can come to me in case they do start having sex as a teen. I want them as informed, and down to earth as possible when it comes to matters of their sexual health. 

JavaLadybug
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not sure where you are getting your stats. I waited until I was 21 to have sex but then had many sexual partners before I got married at age 33. I am not saying that multiple sexual partners was a good thing, more a product of the times - 80s and 90s. I think abstinence/waiting until you are married encourages women to marry young. I think it doesn't necessarily work if you are also trying to promote getting a degree, hopefully an advanced degree, and starting a career before getting married. I want my daughter to wait until she is emotionally ready for a sexual relationship and talk to her often about what that means. I think it would be counter-productive to tell her she should wait until she is married but yet encourage her to wait until she is financially independent before getting married.

I didn't say wait till marraige.. I said wait until at minimum after high school. 

As a matter of a fact I don't beleive I SAID MARRAIGE.. AT ALL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN