Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Geeeez let a kid be a kid!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
What happened to the days when kids could just be kids? Boys could do silly mischeivious boy stuff without it being a crime? I hate the world my kids are growing up in, they are going to be punished every time they don't behave like perfect little robots. I remember the good old days when teachers had more authority to handle kids without going to extreme measures. If we got caught out late on a saturday night(just doin what kids do)we got lectured and sent home. Nobody got arrested. At 15, my older best friend thought it would be a great idea to teach me how to drive. Not so much, i hit a security gaurd car in the mall parking lot. The lecture i got from my dad and subsequent grounding was far worse than any punishment i could have gotten. Maybe it is just me, I grew up in the south in a fairly small town and kids were allowed to be kids. People didn't make such a fuss over the little things. So I'm just curious, do any of you ladies wish our kids had a little more room to just be "kids" too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoLee12345
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Dh says the same thing! They have their whole lives to be stuck up adults like us! Let them be children while they still can!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Actually, I think my kids are free to be kids. We live in a rural area and my kids always have friends over for the weekends. They play outside until dark everyday. I do sometimes regret how many activities they are in during the week and feel that our kids are over scheduled. But we try to keep weekends free and summers are three months of fun! Also, we always say it's not a good day unless you get really dirty!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I remember when I was growing up, every summer when visiting my dad's family, all of us kids in the neighborhood (whether it was at grandma's house or my uncle's house) we all would get together and play even after dark. The youngest one was probably 6. No one had worries, the parents knew we'd be fine (and we always were). My sister and I would ride horses to grandma's house (from our house), and it was a good 3 miles... my sis was 11 and I was 7 (when we started that). 

At my mom's, all of us neighborhood kids would get together and ride bikes in the street and roller blade in the street, all the time! Everyone knew their kids were fine and no one was in immediate danger (other than the occasional car that drove down the street). 

These days, I couldn't imagine letting my kids near the street, and my oldest is 7. Nor could I imagine just letting them go down the road to a friends house let alone a couple miles away! LOL! 

NikiSellers0806
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! I feel like we are living in a society that expects children to behave like little adults and if they dont they get punished like an adult. Its just crazy to me! I remember my parents telling me that i would wish i could have it as easy as i did then with no bills, no responsibilities, etc. once i became an adult. LOL i get it now! Now i regret all those times i said "i cant wait till im grown and have my own house and make my own rules". Being an adult really stinks sometimes, its definatly not all its cracked up to be. Kids should live every moment of their childhood to the fullest!

Quoting JoLee12345:

Dh says the same thing! They have their whole lives to be stuck up adults like us! Let them be children while they still can!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Kristin on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM
I agree! One reason I want move to a smaller town.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I grew up like that also. However my parents and teachers didnt have to wory that we were going to go shoot up a school or join a gang. the world has changed we must adapt.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I believe in letting kids be kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I agree. Thankfully we moved out of the hell hole we were in and now live in a quiet village. Everyone watches out for each others kids and send them back to their mother's when they have wandered to far from home. Kids actually play outside here instead of in the virtual world. I'm so grateful we were able to make the move here and have our kids grow up in this environment as opposed to where we lived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

My kids aren't allowed to flip over on the play equipment at school, or dangle on the climbing structure. Also, they aren't allowed to use the monkey bars except at PE, which is nuts bc my dd has been able to cross monkey bars by herself (with me right there) since she was two. Once she could reach the bar herself there was no keeping her off them. Why are children overweight? I just can't seem to figure it out.

TerrorMom
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Those were the days: Property damage and arson just so kids can be kids, of course there was still the "not my kid" thing going on. When teachers were actually safe in classrooms because kids weren't taught they could do no wrong, it was a little harder for Jr to hide a gun in his room when he shared it with his brother, and every family had the tattler whom they would send with the older sibling. 

Times have changed. While I don't agree with some of it, I do agree with others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN