Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your DH got laid off? (sahms) WOW THIS IS A FEATURED POST!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 847 Replies
19 moms liked this

What would you do, apply for pa, have him apply for unemployment, and sit and wait for him to find a new job? Or would you start looking for a job?

I'm always amazed in pa posts by how many women seem to go with #1 and in MOST cases it doesn't make any sense that a woman can't work as well! Ladies you are JUST as capable and responsible for supporting your family!!

EDIT: I am absolutely AMAZED and APPALLED at some of the excuses in this thread for not working!  And they are just that...excuses!  Seriously ladies, unemployment is not enough to live on for most people in most areas. Take that DH's unemployment AND you get a job, instead of resorting to PA so you can both be unemployed!  

And NO breastfeeding or having a baby under a year (notice I said under a year, not under a month or week) is not a valid excuse for being unable to even LOOK for work.  That is asinine.

I don't get the daycare excuse either.  HELLO, if your DH is unemployed then you have free daycare!  He's not going to be interviewing 40 hours per week. ***edit: I thought it was OBVIOUS that what I mean here is your unemployed dh could watch your kids. It's not right to have 2 sah parents if both COULD be employed or looking for work, and you need the money. I'm sorry some of you interpreted this to mean I was saying you should get free childcare with 2 unemployed parents and this does show me why you have the very valid excuse of never being able to find or keep a job with your lack of any sense.

This post has really made me think less of many, many posters.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Look for a job! I look for one now even though I dont have to.
Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM
3 moms liked this
I already work, he would immediatly file for unemployment, ( this is if he didn't get fired). Also he would be out looking for work , immediatly. We have enough savings for several months so we will be ok with money...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Harsh
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
13 moms liked this

He would apply for unemployment and i would be beating feet to find a job. I refuse to rely on welfare.

Xat
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew my dh was about to lose his job because the company was closing so I had a job lined up for as soon as he was out of work. He is working now and I still work on the weekends.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have him apply for unemployment. I would be online looking for jobs and out pounding the pavement hoping to find one. If we needed to apply for PA I would.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I understand what you are saying, but I know in our situation, my husband got laid off and we BOTH looked for jobs and waited to see who got one first. Remember though daycare can be very expensive and might not be do able in a lot of cases. 

Mom2theboy1994
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

He would file for unemployment, and I would begin to look for a job while he looks for one. We can live for quite a while on our savings, so it wouldn't be a hardship, but the less we have to use of it until he found a new job, the better. :)

abbymommy915
Dh got laid off 4 days after Dd was born and now he has an even better job.than he had before :)
Pink_Sunshine
1 mom liked this

I'd go out and pound the pavement until I got a job

babynurse454
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM
If hubby got laid off we have enough in our emergency fund for 6 months...then one of us better be working, dh has never been without a job in the 35 years we have been married. I've only taken a year off work, so i would be going back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured