Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pissed off widow

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

A very dear family friend of mine was married to a man for 18 years up until he cheated on her with another woman, she divorced the man and he went on to marry the mistress, he passed away recently after only being married to the new wife for 5 years. My family friend received notice today that she will be receiving all of his SSI payments because the new wife hadn't met the 10 year minimum. The widow is super pissed now and causing all sorts of issues. My friend had nothing to do with this, but now she is enjoying the turn about of it all. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

The current wife didn't meet the age requirements to collect anything, she can apply after she hits 60 and take a cut, or wait until she reaches the actual age of retirement to recieve more of it. Of course if she gets re married before than, she is screwed.  She is 44 I believe, where as the woman I know is nearly 70 now. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Something is wrong in this story. The only 10 year limitation that comes into play is if you are a divorced spouse but were married for more than 10 years you can still qualify for death benefits from your ex upon their death, if they did not remarry. Being legally married at the time of death is the only requirement for the current spouse to collect death benefits.

Something is amiss or someone has a lot of misinformation.

But you also said that this lady had nothing to do with it and that can't be true either. While the Social Security office will contact the current spouse, anyone else feeling they have a claim to his death benefits would have to apply, especially if you are a "divorced widow". She would have to show proof of marriage, as well as proof of divorce. 

Like I said before, either you are not being given the whole story or something is amiss.  

lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
StephG718
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Thats fucking awesome! Tell your friend congrats! :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

All I can tell you is that when my friend filed for her own SSI, it was a few months later that she recieved a letter informing her of her rights to his SSI. She may or may not have to fill out paperwork for it. Probably does, I know she had to send in all her information. She did not go out and seek his death money. She didn't even know that it was a possibility, she like the wife just assumed it was an automatic thing that gets paid to the current and surviving wife.  Maybe someone was just looking out for her at the office and was able to link the two, I don't know. I am just glad now to know that I have done the 10 year commitment at least lol. Although I am not nearly old enough to collect. 

Edit: Just for shits and giggles I called her and asked how they found out about her, it was because the current wife had to show their marriage licence and his divorce paperwork from previous marriages when she attempted to file for it. So I guess that is why they inquired into the situation.  So maybe she should send her a thank you note lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The current wife didn't meet the age requirements to collect anything, she can apply after she hits 60 and take a cut, or wait until she reaches the actual age of retirement to recieve more of it. Of course if she gets re married before than, she is screwed.  She is 44 I believe, where as the woman I know is nearly 70 now. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Something is wrong in this story. The only 10 year limitation that comes into play is if you are a divorced spouse but were married for more than 10 years you can still qualify for death benefits from your ex upon their death, if they did not remarry. Being legally married at the time of death is the only requirement for the current spouse to collect death benefits.

But you also said that this lady had nothing to do with it and that can't be true either. While the Social Security office will contact the current spouse, anyone else feeling they have a claim to his death benefits would have to apply, especially if you are a "divorced widow". She would have to show proof of marriage, as well as proof of divorce. 

Like I said before, either you are not being given the whole story or something is amiss.  

mamabirch88
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Buwahahahahahahahaha!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

No way history or not she spent 18 YEARS of her life with him and HE was unfaithful WITH THE NEW WIFE. I think justice was totally served in this case to me the ex wife is getting the payment she deserves for the hurt and pain she suffered and that nasty new wife should be ashamed and not get a DIME!

Quoting Chris030406:

Despite their history, the widow is the one he was with at the end. If he were alive, he would probably chose his current wife over his ex. It's wrong and I hope the widow ties that shit up forever!

nangel5
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM

My aunt also received benefits from her Ex husband.  She did not ask for them they where given to her.  That is how it is.  There is nothing missing to this story. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

OkieMom2673
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Wow that sounds like something that happened to my Aunt! The wicked woman wouldn't even let my Aunt come to the funeral even though both of his children wanted their mom to be there, my cousin didn't even go because she didn't want to go without her mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I don't know if she is a wicked woman or anything, I wasn't involved in the whole mess back then, but your story is sad. I think it's important to invite anyone to a funeral that had some history with the deceased persons. 

Quoting OkieMom2673:

Wow that sounds like something that happened to my Aunt! The wicked woman wouldn't even let my Aunt come to the funeral even though both of his children wanted their mom to be there, my cousin didn't even go because she didn't want to go without her mom.

FranciRed
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Hah hah hah! Nice...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)