Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHERE DOES IT SAY YOU CAN NOT DRINK IN THE BIBLE *****EDIT***** Added what happened

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know anything in excess is a sin but two beers once every few months? Serious question. My DH has been involved heavily in his church for the last 9 years, he is in the praise band, part of many functions, a Gideon, and a active parent of our boy scouts troop. Once a year he goes to a "woman haters man camp" with his buddies and between the four of them they drink a 12 pack in 3 days (big freaking whoop) He use to drink a 36 pack and a pint of crown every DAY. That was 8 years ago before I met him. I'm from the west coast and I drink a glass of wine from now and then. My grandfather was a devout Catholic from France and Wine was a staple at dinner. We don't get drunk every time we drink and for a period of time we didn't drink for two years. Apparently our pastor found out (from a mad wife of the 4 guys she doesn't share the same thoughts towards drinking as we do) and he wants to see my DH tomorrow. He already spoke to the wife's husband and told him he is out of any thing church related. My DH is really ticked off this has gone this far. We both agree drinking in excess is a sin but we have our bill paid 9 months in advance including our 10% to the church, we never drink when our children are home, and the guys do this once a year. My DH and I are recovering Meth addicts and I we have learned when to say no. We buy a 6-pack of corona every 6 months for our home that's all. The bottle of wine I have is from 3 years ago. So someone please help me out WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY WE CAN'T ENJOY A DRINK. We are not drinking in excess.

Added after meeting ---- Dh came home after I woke up (I work graveyard and went straight to bed when I got home) First he rode up on the motorcycle into the yard and said "Well we have been kicked out" But I could tell from his grin he was kidding. He told me all our pastor asked about was how the BSA group was going (My husband started our areas group) and how the explusion of his felony was going. My DH went with a 5 page (background & research) he had printed about the subject. It kind of shocked me b/c I thought i was the one over worrying about it. DH said at the end of the meeting he kept saying "is that all?" and the pastor said "yep, is there something else we needed to talk about?" DH and I both know that our pastor prob didn't want to open a can of worms lol. We let our friend know his wife ratted him out to get him in trouble. She is a sweet woman but she has lived a more "sheltered" life then us three. She doesn't agree that drinking is possible without being drunk. Oh well I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong in my christian walk. I have always had to double check every step I have taken because of my early up bringing in the FLDS.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tavi916
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

BUMP!

mnmo3bb
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM
5 moms liked this
Drunkeness is the issue. Stay sober. And "paid your bill" what kind of church are you going to? Congrats on kicking the meth though! That's great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Josie.Grossie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Tell the pastor he will be drinking wone made by Jesus, lol!

LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM
It doesn't. Jesus drank wine all te time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't Jesus turn water to wine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletSpirit
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
http://www.scionofzion.com/drinking.htm

Cant make clicky. I'm mobile.
It does not say no alcohol to my knowledge though. Just being drunk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletSpirit
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Under the Law of Moses one was allowed to spend part of their tithe for the consumption of alcohol.

Deut 14:23-26 "Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink,or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice."

Its allowance is also spoken of in Isaiah 25:6 "On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine-- the best of meats and the finest of wines."

Furthermore in John chapter 2 Jesus himself miraculously provides about 150 gallons of wine for a wedding he attended where they had run out of wine.

And Paul advised Timothy, "No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." 1Tim 5:23 But notice that he says, "a little".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ebster
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Its just says to keep a sober mind, and not to be drunk..basically meaning don't drink to get drunk. I'll try to find the scripture and get back to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eyedoleyes
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM
The issue here may be that if it is a revival type get away, kicking back a few brewskies during would not sit well with everyone.

What the heck kind of church has a "woman haters man camp" thou wtf?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HadleyAzure
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM
2 moms liked this

LMAO what in the little rascals hell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)