Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was asked by my SO what I really want for Mothers Day. I said what I really want is a little home deep fryer. The one I like is on sale for like $30. And for the kids to color me new pictures to hang at my desk. WE not just me or him, but WE got told an applicance is not a good gift to give for a holiday. Is it wrong for him to get me what I really want just because its an applicance if its what I asked for? I think its ridiculous but I thought I would get some other opinions.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM

That is me :) Its all little stuff or things that make my day easier. All of which I have gotten as gifts. Some examples are my smootie/ blender thing, the magic bullet, we have a nice coffee maker even though I dont drink coffee I am the only who normally starts it, now I want one of those crock pots that are three in one that one of the other moms was talking about that would make holidays a breese 

Quoting jlynnf:

some people just love appliances!

ICPclwnLOV
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Not wrong at all. Hope you get what you want this year,momma.

Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Lol that is funny because typically I do tend to be more on the traditional side. The opinion would have been valid if I hadnt asked for it and he was wanting to get it for me so I would make stuff for him with it, but to be honest Im the only one that likes things deep fried all that much. So I think the whole "not right" thing goes out the window when I specifically ask for it. I emailed him the link for where it was on sale too :)

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

That is ridiculous! Its mother's day if you want a deep fryer than you should damn well get your deep fryer. Why shouldn't you have what you want just because its an appliance. DH got me an awesome vacuum last year for Christmas and I was stoked ( fyi I did ask for a vacuum he didn't just think it was a good idea lol). Anyways as I was saying sometimes people get all silly with "traditional" gift concepts, you should get whatever you want on your day IDC if you want a goldfish and a pop tart. Your the mother, its mothers day if you want it than it should be yours.

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I don't see a problem with it!

.Pagan.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

no i ask for them all the time lol. I'm really wanting a new vacuum cleaner but its like 700.00 so we are saving up for it

Lucky2haveLiam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Yea I dont think appliances are good gifts for a spouse if they're random but if you ask for it and its what you want than it wouldn't really make since to not get it for you lol. Extra points for subtlety with the email link lol hopefully he receives the hint

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Lol that is funny because typically I do tend to be more on the traditional side. The opinion would have been valid if I hadnt asked for it and he was wanting to get it for me so I would make stuff for him with it, but to be honest Im the only one that likes things deep fried all that much. So I think the whole "not right" thing goes out the window when I specifically ask for it. I emailed him the link for where it was on sale too :)

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

That is ridiculous! Its mother's day if you want a deep fryer than you should damn well get your deep fryer. Why shouldn't you have what you want just because its an appliance. DH got me an awesome vacuum last year for Christmas and I was stoked ( fyi I did ask for a vacuum he didn't just think it was a good idea lol). Anyways as I was saying sometimes people get all silly with "traditional" gift concepts, you should get whatever you want on your day IDC if you want a goldfish and a pop tart. Your the mother, its mothers day if you want it than it should be yours.

Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

The email link concept is thankfully not new for us. (my family thinks its tacky lol) I am terrible at picking out gifts for him. So when he sees something he likes that he wouldnt typically just go out and buy himself he sends me an email with the subject "just an idea....." insert whatever upcoming holiday. So by the time its time to go shopping I have multiple choices with color photos (so I dont get the wrong thing) and usually a store location where to get it :) 

PS: Obviously I do the same thing. I sent a few things and that how the which one do you really want came up in the first place. 

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

Yea I dont think appliances are good gifts for a spouse if they're random but if you ask for it and its what you want than it wouldn't really make since to not get it for you lol. Extra points for subtlety with the email link lol hopefully he receives the hint

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

Lucky2haveLiam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Lol. DH and I are kind of the same way. Neither or us is great at picking out gifts so we pretty much just find round about ways to tell each other exactly what we want. I dont think its tacky at all I mean maybe it would be tacky if you like sent out Bday invite to everyone designating what they get you , lol, but I dont think there is anything wrong with being straight forward with your DH about what you want. It simply ensures everyone has a happy holiday

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

The email link concept is thankfully not new for us. (my family thinks its tacky lol) I am terrible at picking out gifts for him. So when he sees something he likes that he wouldnt typically just go out and buy himself he sends me an email with the subject "just an idea....." insert whatever upcoming holiday. So by the time its time to go shopping I have multiple choices with color photos (so I dont get the wrong thing) and usually a store location where to get it :) 

PS: Obviously I do the same thing. I sent a few things and that how the which one do you really want came up in the first place. 

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Quoting Lucky2haveLiam:

rose0919
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM

i asked for a new ironing board lol. but i would rather have something i will use than another piece of jewlery  to sit in my jewlery box. for christmas i got a new washer.(i love it my water bill went down 50.00 with it) easter i didnt want  plants , i got a new hand made window box outside my kitchen window for all of my herbs.

Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

ooooooohhhhhh. I like that!!!! 

Quoting rose0919:

i asked for a new ironing board lol. but i would rather have something i will use than another piece of jewlery  to sit in my jewlery box. for christmas i got a new washer.(i love it my water bill went down 50.00 with it) easter i didnt want  plants , i got a new hand made window box outside my kitchen window for all of my herbs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)