Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Story - I don't feel like going anon

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM
  • 1 Replies

I was a virgin until I graduated from high school. The day after I graduated, my stepfather kicked me out of the house. I was working at McDonald's at the time and really didn't make a lot of money so I ended up at one of those skeezy weekly motels. I met a guy there and kind of got into a bad situation. He stole money from me, wrote bad checks in my name, scammed the motel and basically screwed me over within a 2 week period. Ugh.

My mom ended up having to rescue me from that and I ended up back at the house, but in the unfinished, spider filled basement until I could find my own place. During this time, I was working, and looking for my own place. Because the house was out in the country and my job was in town, I ended up being left to fend for myself in the city some weekends without anywhere to stay while I worked my shifts. I met another guy during this time and had a brief fling.

One night after work I was stuck in the city without any way home, and not a lot of money. I wandered around, saw a movie, and window shopped at a 24 hour store. I ended up talking to one of the employees, and over the course of the weekend we ended up connecting. He suggested that I move in with him.

It was stupid, I know. I knew it was stupid at the time, as well, and really didn't care. I was that desperate.

We ended up staying together for 5 years. There were times when I thought I loved him, but never really did. In 1999, I had a miscarriage. We'd been together about a year by that time. About 6 months later, I found out I was pregnant again. This was my now 12 year old son.

In 2001 I started school to earn my Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting. I did not know this at the time, but this was another stupid decision on my part. I attended a for profit school that did not have transferrable credits. My plan was to leave the relationship after I finished school and got a good job. This was not destined to be.

I went through all of the classroom work, earning a 4.0 GPA, but then, shortly before my externship was to start I began getting really sick. I was pregnant with hyperemesis to the point that I could not complete my externship. I took a leave of absence until after my now 9 year old daughter was born.

When I attempted to go back, they told me the curriculum had changed. I would have to retake 75% of the coursework. 

So I stayed. He became abusive. Years of alcoholism came to a head and we left to a women's shelter.

I made a lot of  bad choices in my life. Neither of my children are one of those bad decisions. We're stable now. We've been on our own for 7 years now. Every day is still a struggle, but I don't think I would change anything because I have two great kids who I wouldn't have otherwise.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

You are a strong woman. We all have things happen in our lives that don't fit the rainbow and butterflies mold. BUT you made it. And even though you may still struggle at times, what you have been through in the past can only help you gain a bigger sense of character.

I don't know you, but I am PROUD that you made it to where you are now. Keep up the good work, and thank you for sharing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)